Ulverston school keen to show green credentials
Last updated at 16:23, Friday, 07 December 2012
STAFF and pupils at an Ulverston special needs school are flying the flag for the environment – but they haven’t got a flagpole.
Sandside Lodge School has been awarded ‘Eco-School Status’ and been given a green flag to show for its efforts to save the planet.
But now staff are appealing for a flagpole so they can proudly display the school’s achievement.
The school already has one green flag from a previous award, which it hangs inside, but wants to fly this one for all to see.
Teaching assistant Kevin Wilson said the children ought to be proud of their efforts and deserved the chance to display the flag.
He added: “We were assessed a couple of weeks ago and came away with flying colours.”
The school earned its status through its efforts to recycle waste and reduce its energy consumption.
But Mr Roberts said the school has even bigger plans for the future.
He said: “We are also in the market for any solar panels or wind turbines if anyone wants to sponsor us.”
The school, he said, takes the environment very seriously and also has plans to reintroduce various species of butterfly in the South Lakes next year.
The eco-schools scheme promotes sustainability, recognising schools that incorporate environmentally friendly teaching into the curriculum.
Sandside Lodge now has Green Flag status until 2014.
First published at 16:17, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Ulverston council toilet block vote is branded ‘unforgivable’ (3 comments)
- Ulverston father’s suicide after indecent images investigation
- Ulverston assault charge trial
- Travellers face legal action if they don’t leave Ulverston common (19 comments)
- South Cumbria Villagers’ love for pies helps charity
- Ulverston motorist faces death charge case
- Ulverston Canal gets a clear-up by apprentices
- Organisers need help to create another Fine Fest in Ulverston (5 comments)
- Barrow store staff take to the shore to rid coastline of litter
- Anger as vandals strike at Ulverston egg trail
- Ulverston egg-rolling
- Cumbria morris dancers perform traditional Easter Pasche Egging play
- Record numbers in Ulverston endurance contest
- Ulverston archaeology firm set to achieve milestone
- Ulverston supermarket developer will be held to account on plan (8 comments)
- Dog walkers saved by Ulverston rescue team
- Ulverston fun day unleashed for animal lovers
- Ulverston mural attack is no laughing matter for Stan Laurel fans
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Competitors in fine voice for final day of Ulverston contest
- Ulverston gala event fitting end to week of Cumbria music competition
Evening Mail homepage
Luscombe Plant Hire
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21