Ulverston school keen to show green credentials
Last updated at 16:23, Friday, 07 December 2012
STAFF and pupils at an Ulverston special needs school are flying the flag for the environment – but they haven’t got a flagpole.
Sandside Lodge School has been awarded ‘Eco-School Status’ and been given a green flag to show for its efforts to save the planet.
But now staff are appealing for a flagpole so they can proudly display the school’s achievement.
The school already has one green flag from a previous award, which it hangs inside, but wants to fly this one for all to see.
Teaching assistant Kevin Wilson said the children ought to be proud of their efforts and deserved the chance to display the flag.
He added: “We were assessed a couple of weeks ago and came away with flying colours.”
The school earned its status through its efforts to recycle waste and reduce its energy consumption.
But Mr Roberts said the school has even bigger plans for the future.
He said: “We are also in the market for any solar panels or wind turbines if anyone wants to sponsor us.”
The school, he said, takes the environment very seriously and also has plans to reintroduce various species of butterfly in the South Lakes next year.
The eco-schools scheme promotes sustainability, recognising schools that incorporate environmentally friendly teaching into the curriculum.
Sandside Lodge now has Green Flag status until 2014.
First published at 16:17, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Ulverston hospice appeals for volunteers to help make carnival a success
- Ulverston victim asks court not to send her attacker to jail
- Ulverston staff angry after tips stolen (1 comment)
- Ulverston man on drink-driving charge
- A Laurel live music and art makes Ulverston festival a success (1 comment)
- Ulverston business leader takes on 300km adventure - follow his progress
- Ulverston school’s £4.1m development is finally nearing completion (4 comments)
- Ulverston homes proposal wins backing despite fears over historic site
- Ulverston dad is set to take on epic open water challenge
- History brought to life as Ulverston pupils dig deep for archaeology project
- Plans to expand Ulverston venue
- PHOTOS: Ulverston teddy toddle to raise nursery funds
- Traders sell out of produce as crowds flock to Ulverston food event
- Pedestrian sustains broken leg and head injuries in Ulverston crash
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
- Food fans set to bring festival boost for Ulverston economy
Evening Mail homepage
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22