Ulverston pupils get lesson from T-Rex drummer
Last updated at 16:41, Friday, 30 November 2012
A ROCK veteran is gearing up to hit the stage alongside a selection of Ulverston’s finest emerging talent.
A group of pupils at Croftlands Junior School will be rocking out at the Coronation Hall on Saturday, accompanied by the band now performing as T-Rex.
Paul Fenton, who toured with Marc Bolan’s T. Rex from 1973, was in Ulverston yesterday to meet the kids he will be playing with.
The drummer, who has played all over the world, said it was important to try and inspire the next generation and give them the desire to succeed.
He added: “When I was young and all my friends were trying to entice me to do other things, I stayed at home and played music.”
Fenton has played in various bands, touring the world 12 times, and has helped budding drummers get started.
He now plays alongside former T. Rex members Micky Finn and Jack Green in a tribute to Bolan’s cult band.
He added: “It is good for us to try and do something they will remember for a long time and hopefully provide some inspiration.”
And Year Five and Six class teacher at the school, Simon Cross, said he was delighted the pupils would have the chance to showcase their skills in such a memorable way.
He said: “It is an absolutely fantastic opportunity for them, for a school to get a real gig anywhere where people are paying to come and watch.
“To be able to play with one of the most well-known bands from the 1970s is unbelievable.”
Staff and pupils are getting excited about tomorrow’s performance, although the nerves are starting to kick in.
Jack Spencer, aged 11, plays four instruments and has been playing the guitar for around four years but said he is a “bit of a mix” of excitement and nerves.
Nine-year-old Megan Cooper will be singing but said she has no problems being noisy.
“That is one of my best talents,” she said.
“It is like a practice for me – in January I am going for (youth choir concert) Young Voices.”
First published at 10:11, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
NO BOLAN,NO T.Rex.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Oil spill closes road near Ulverston
- Cumbria police investigating historic sex offences in schools
- Mission aims to raise cash for new vehicles for Ulverston hospice
- New consultation to launch into new homes near Ulverston
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (11 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Ulverston campaigners reach fighting fund £5k target (17 comments)
- Golfers club together in support of Ulverston hospice
- Search for missing blind dog in Cumbria (3 comments)
- Ulverston Victoria High School students ‘have a brilliant time’
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Love of Ulverston at heart of councillor’s hard work
- Barrow detective in court on rape charge
- Furness Tradition Festival in Ulverston
- Unemployment in Cumbria down by 27 per cent (1 comment)
- Ulverston primary school musicians' song featured on BBC radio
- Ulverston school to premier pupils film
- Gardeners’ efforts recognised with Heart of Ulverston award nomination
- Passion for reading that Ulverston man Ernie loves to pass on
- Star Wars and Harry Potter hero calls for public to back Ulverston hospice cause (2 comments)
- Ulverston Carnival-goers left fuming at rail delays (1 comment)
- Campaigner inspired by tragedy up for Heart of Ulverston award
- Ulverston man who lost wife and daughter starts hospital equipment drive (1 comment)
- Margaret’s dedication to patients recognised with Heart of Ulverston award nomination
- Ulverston crash: Second pedestrian transferred to Blackpool hospital