Ulverston pupils get lesson from T-Rex drummer
Last updated at 16:41, Friday, 30 November 2012
A ROCK veteran is gearing up to hit the stage alongside a selection of Ulverston’s finest emerging talent.
A group of pupils at Croftlands Junior School will be rocking out at the Coronation Hall on Saturday, accompanied by the band now performing as T-Rex.
Paul Fenton, who toured with Marc Bolan’s T. Rex from 1973, was in Ulverston yesterday to meet the kids he will be playing with.
The drummer, who has played all over the world, said it was important to try and inspire the next generation and give them the desire to succeed.
He added: “When I was young and all my friends were trying to entice me to do other things, I stayed at home and played music.”
Fenton has played in various bands, touring the world 12 times, and has helped budding drummers get started.
He now plays alongside former T. Rex members Micky Finn and Jack Green in a tribute to Bolan’s cult band.
He added: “It is good for us to try and do something they will remember for a long time and hopefully provide some inspiration.”
And Year Five and Six class teacher at the school, Simon Cross, said he was delighted the pupils would have the chance to showcase their skills in such a memorable way.
He said: “It is an absolutely fantastic opportunity for them, for a school to get a real gig anywhere where people are paying to come and watch.
“To be able to play with one of the most well-known bands from the 1970s is unbelievable.”
Staff and pupils are getting excited about tomorrow’s performance, although the nerves are starting to kick in.
Jack Spencer, aged 11, plays four instruments and has been playing the guitar for around four years but said he is a “bit of a mix” of excitement and nerves.
Nine-year-old Megan Cooper will be singing but said she has no problems being noisy.
“That is one of my best talents,” she said.
“It is like a practice for me – in January I am going for (youth choir concert) Young Voices.”
First published at 10:11, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
NO BOLAN,NO T.Rex.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Traders sell out of produce as crowds flock to Ulverston food event
- Pedestrian sustains broken leg and head injuries in Ulverston crash
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
- Food fans set to bring festival boost for Ulverston economy
- Kitten found in south Cumbria after being shot by rifle thug (2 comments)
- Ulverston students get to have voice (2 comments)
- Indie giant Panda eyes up a group of Pesky Ulverston kids as stars
- Ulverston carnival parade is set to be scrapped (9 comments)
- Ulverston pair charged with intent to supply drugs
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- It’s not just Aidan Turner that dazzled fans of Poldark drama...
- Ulverston man given jail sentence after smash-and-grab raid on shop
- Ulverston pupils put their talents to the test
- Campaigners change strategy in battle for Ulverston town centre’s soul (9 comments)
- Ulverston man concealed drug in bag up bottom (5 comments)
- Emergency service hub for Ulverston wins council’s support
- Ulverston waterpark plans unveiled (11 comments)
- A590 Ulverston drivers warned of long delays
- A590 Ulverston traffic chaos to last until at least Friday
- Group slams plan for ‘folly of an office block’ at Ulverston toilets site (1 comment)
- Ex-circus performer to manage Ulverston cultural venue (1 comment)
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (17 comments)