Ulverston pupils get lesson from T-Rex drummer
Last updated at 16:41, Friday, 30 November 2012
A ROCK veteran is gearing up to hit the stage alongside a selection of Ulverston’s finest emerging talent.
A group of pupils at Croftlands Junior School will be rocking out at the Coronation Hall on Saturday, accompanied by the band now performing as T-Rex.
Paul Fenton, who toured with Marc Bolan’s T. Rex from 1973, was in Ulverston yesterday to meet the kids he will be playing with.
The drummer, who has played all over the world, said it was important to try and inspire the next generation and give them the desire to succeed.
He added: “When I was young and all my friends were trying to entice me to do other things, I stayed at home and played music.”
Fenton has played in various bands, touring the world 12 times, and has helped budding drummers get started.
He now plays alongside former T. Rex members Micky Finn and Jack Green in a tribute to Bolan’s cult band.
He added: “It is good for us to try and do something they will remember for a long time and hopefully provide some inspiration.”
And Year Five and Six class teacher at the school, Simon Cross, said he was delighted the pupils would have the chance to showcase their skills in such a memorable way.
He said: “It is an absolutely fantastic opportunity for them, for a school to get a real gig anywhere where people are paying to come and watch.
“To be able to play with one of the most well-known bands from the 1970s is unbelievable.”
Staff and pupils are getting excited about tomorrow’s performance, although the nerves are starting to kick in.
Jack Spencer, aged 11, plays four instruments and has been playing the guitar for around four years but said he is a “bit of a mix” of excitement and nerves.
Nine-year-old Megan Cooper will be singing but said she has no problems being noisy.
“That is one of my best talents,” she said.
“It is like a practice for me – in January I am going for (youth choir concert) Young Voices.”
First published at 10:11, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
NO BOLAN,NO T.Rex.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Ulverston council toilet block vote is branded ‘unforgivable’ (3 comments)
- Ulverston father’s suicide after indecent images investigation
- Ulverston assault charge trial
- Travellers face legal action if they don’t leave Ulverston common (19 comments)
- South Cumbria Villagers’ love for pies helps charity
- Ulverston motorist faces death charge case
- Ulverston Canal gets a clear-up by apprentices
- Organisers need help to create another Fine Fest in Ulverston (5 comments)
- Barrow store staff take to the shore to rid coastline of litter
- Anger as vandals strike at Ulverston egg trail
- Ulverston egg-rolling
- Cumbria morris dancers perform traditional Easter Pasche Egging play
- Record numbers in Ulverston endurance contest
- Ulverston archaeology firm set to achieve milestone
- Ulverston supermarket developer will be held to account on plan (8 comments)
- Dog walkers saved by Ulverston rescue team
- Ulverston fun day unleashed for animal lovers
- Ulverston mural attack is no laughing matter for Stan Laurel fans
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Competitors in fine voice for final day of Ulverston contest
- Ulverston gala event fitting end to week of Cumbria music competition