Ulverston pupils get lesson from T-Rex drummer
Last updated at 16:41, Friday, 30 November 2012
A ROCK veteran is gearing up to hit the stage alongside a selection of Ulverston’s finest emerging talent.
A group of pupils at Croftlands Junior School will be rocking out at the Coronation Hall on Saturday, accompanied by the band now performing as T-Rex.
Paul Fenton, who toured with Marc Bolan’s T. Rex from 1973, was in Ulverston yesterday to meet the kids he will be playing with.
The drummer, who has played all over the world, said it was important to try and inspire the next generation and give them the desire to succeed.
He added: “When I was young and all my friends were trying to entice me to do other things, I stayed at home and played music.”
Fenton has played in various bands, touring the world 12 times, and has helped budding drummers get started.
He now plays alongside former T. Rex members Micky Finn and Jack Green in a tribute to Bolan’s cult band.
He added: “It is good for us to try and do something they will remember for a long time and hopefully provide some inspiration.”
And Year Five and Six class teacher at the school, Simon Cross, said he was delighted the pupils would have the chance to showcase their skills in such a memorable way.
He said: “It is an absolutely fantastic opportunity for them, for a school to get a real gig anywhere where people are paying to come and watch.
“To be able to play with one of the most well-known bands from the 1970s is unbelievable.”
Staff and pupils are getting excited about tomorrow’s performance, although the nerves are starting to kick in.
Jack Spencer, aged 11, plays four instruments and has been playing the guitar for around four years but said he is a “bit of a mix” of excitement and nerves.
Nine-year-old Megan Cooper will be singing but said she has no problems being noisy.
“That is one of my best talents,” she said.
“It is like a practice for me – in January I am going for (youth choir concert) Young Voices.”
First published at 10:11, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
NO BOLAN,NO T.Rex.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Teen on drug cash charge stopped in Ulverston
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Ulverston Town Council back Ford Park housing plans (12 comments)
- Ulverston marathon plan unveiled
- Christmas night out in Ulverston turns to violence
- Mel’s bringing lost art of cut-throat razor shaving to Ulverston
- Work to start today on £350 million Ulverston factory
- Residents hit out at Cumbria village turbine plan (5 comments)
- Work to start next week on first phase of Ulverston drugs giant’s £350m development (4 comments)
- Get your Christmas tree collected to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Vindictive Ulverston bully avoids jail for harassing couple
- Pledge to spend £7m on upgrading Sandside school in Ulverston
- Top exec offers inspiring tips to Ulverston school’s brightest
- Fitness fans forced out of Ulverston centre slam new venues
- Councillor criticises 'moronic' rules of Ulverston street market (17 comments)
- Ulverston dad takes on marathon task to raise £20,000 for charities
- Queuing traffic on A590 in Ulverston
- Ulverston school to open as usual today after gas leak fixed
- South Cumbria Master Chef semi-finalist proves he is a serious contender
- First snow of the year falls in South Cumbria
- Ulverston mansion developer’s plans hit the buffers over homes scheme (13 comments)
- Unforgettable day as South Cumbria Guides mark 40th birthday milestone
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (44 comments)
- Police traffic warning ahead of Ulverston Dickensian Festival
- Ulverston faces wait for new recycling service