Ulverston pupils get lesson from T-Rex drummer
Last updated at 16:41, Friday, 30 November 2012
A ROCK veteran is gearing up to hit the stage alongside a selection of Ulverston’s finest emerging talent.
A group of pupils at Croftlands Junior School will be rocking out at the Coronation Hall on Saturday, accompanied by the band now performing as T-Rex.
Paul Fenton, who toured with Marc Bolan’s T. Rex from 1973, was in Ulverston yesterday to meet the kids he will be playing with.
The drummer, who has played all over the world, said it was important to try and inspire the next generation and give them the desire to succeed.
He added: “When I was young and all my friends were trying to entice me to do other things, I stayed at home and played music.”
Fenton has played in various bands, touring the world 12 times, and has helped budding drummers get started.
He now plays alongside former T. Rex members Micky Finn and Jack Green in a tribute to Bolan’s cult band.
He added: “It is good for us to try and do something they will remember for a long time and hopefully provide some inspiration.”
And Year Five and Six class teacher at the school, Simon Cross, said he was delighted the pupils would have the chance to showcase their skills in such a memorable way.
He said: “It is an absolutely fantastic opportunity for them, for a school to get a real gig anywhere where people are paying to come and watch.
“To be able to play with one of the most well-known bands from the 1970s is unbelievable.”
Staff and pupils are getting excited about tomorrow’s performance, although the nerves are starting to kick in.
Jack Spencer, aged 11, plays four instruments and has been playing the guitar for around four years but said he is a “bit of a mix” of excitement and nerves.
Nine-year-old Megan Cooper will be singing but said she has no problems being noisy.
“That is one of my best talents,” she said.
“It is like a practice for me – in January I am going for (youth choir concert) Young Voices.”
First published at 10:11, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
NO BOLAN,NO T.Rex.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Barrow friends’ instant cancer test invention amazes scientists (5 comments)
- Dave sees timepiece runs like clockwork
- Optometrist nominated for Heart of Ulverston award
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- African odyssey an unforgettable time for Cumbria students
- North Lonsdale Show pins hopes on another record year
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Ulverston volunteer wins praise for church gardening
- Ulverston church has fancy dress celebration for start of school holidays
- Fun on Ulverston canal is a real crowd-puller
- Ulverston care home worker ‘suffers ear-bite attack’
- Gill tells of joy as she’s put forward for Heart of Ulverston award
- Trading standards to investigate secondhand cars for sale in Ulverston lay-by (11 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket row set to reignite (18 comments)
- Support pours in for grieving Ulverston dad’s quest
- Missing blind dog found in Cumbria (7 comments)
- We weren’t prepared for this, say Ulverston Scouts
- Terminally ill Ulverston man made false benefit claims
- Funding threat to Ulverston building is 'gun to councillors' heads' (4 comments)
- Oil spill closes road near Ulverston
- Cumbria police investigating historic sex offences in schools
- Mission aims to raise cash for new vehicles for Ulverston hospice
- New consultation to launch into new homes near Ulverston
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (11 comments)
- Ulverston campaigners reach fighting fund £5k target (17 comments)