Ulverston Lantern Festival
Last updated at 11:40, Wednesday, 19 September 2012
CROWDS lined Ulverston’s cobbled streets as thousands more lit up the night with an array of colourful lanterns.
The town’s annual Lantern Festival saw various home-made creations, all tentatively carried by their proud makers, sweep through Ulverston on Saturday night.
Converging in County Square, lantern makers formed a continuous stream of light as the precession made its way through the town to Ford Park.
Lantern makers were given a glimpse of their creations on the ‘big screen’ thanks to the Second Ulverston Scout Group’s creation.
Parading through the town with a gigantic film camera lantern, featuring Laurel and Hardy artwork, the scout group’s creation projected live images of the parade onto an accompanying screen.
Group scout leader, Gavin Knott, said the group wanted to showcase the effort and creativity of fellow lantern makers.
He said: “The idea came from a friend of mine who suggested we make a film camera to tie in with the Stan Laurel theme.
“Then one of our assistant cub leaders, Robert Maddock, came up with the idea of having an actual video camera to go alongside it.”
Mr Knott said around 120 scouts, cubs and leaders had spent two weeks constructing the lantern at the Dragley Beck-based scout hut.
Among the parade of lanterns stood one particularly recognisable design. Hours after Ambush was launched, a crew of 12 mechanical engineers that worked on the project proudly held aloft their lantern tribute to the Barrow-built submarine.
Beaming through the tissue paper casing, from inside the willow frame, shone green glow sticks, representing the submarine’s nuclear reactor.
Graduate mechanical engineer, Ryan Devlin, 26, said: “The reaction from people has been surreal: everyone clapping and cheering us.
“We’ve had a great time making it. Everyone has chipped in and helped out.”
First published at 09:47, Monday, 17 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Tickets for Paul Merton in Ulverston
- Film-making pair will capture 8,500-mile Ulverston to China challenge
- Ulverston death sparks fears of drug menace’s return
- Ulverston man denies camera theft and order breach
- Delays caused by train breakdown between Barrow and Ulverston
- Concerns over ‘derelict’ state of Ulverston brewery site (9 comments)
- Crime in Ulverston falls for second year in row
- Vandals cost Dalton businessman £10k in repairs (1 comment)
- Competitors show a touch of brass - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Standards of playing impress judges - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Entrants in fine voice - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Recorder players hit right notes - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Siblings shine at grand finale - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Security costs £5k at disused Ulverston facility
- Tackling dog fouling is top of agenda for Ulverston campaigners (1 comment)
- Traffic diversions planned for Ulverston road while National Grid move a gas main (1 comment)
- Heavy traffic causing delays between Barrow and Ulverston (1 comment)
- Delays following A590 crash near Ulverston (1 comment)
- Holiday prize draw raises cash for Ulverston couple
- Police reveal latest twist in Ulverston rape investigation
- Store giant to consider reviving plan to build Ulverston supermarket
- Cumbria hot air balloon crashes into power cables (1 comment)
- Cumbria blue tit enthusiast films birds
- Ulverston street closures come into effect today (14 comments)
- Millions set to be invested in projects across Cumbria
Evening Mail homepage
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans