Ulverston hosts national breastfeeding talks
Last updated at 14:50, Tuesday, 14 February 2012
THE organisers of the Ulverston Breastfeeding Festival are to hold the first national conference on the subject.
The all-day event is due to take place in Ulverston on March 26.
The independent and non-sponsored conference aims to provide health professionals with up-to-date, objective information on a variety of breastfeeding topics.
Swarthmoor mum Karen Butterfield, co-organiser of the annual breastfeeding festival which started in 2010, said: “The Breastfeeding Festival is a free, week-long programme of events but we found it was difficult for health professionals to attend.
“We decided we needed to pack as much as we could into one day to enable the health professionals to be able to get as much out of it as possible.”
Topics to be covered at the conference include tongue tie, a condition thought to affect one in 20 babies in some way, where a membrane extends from the underside of the tongue to the bottom of the inside of the mouth.
Other topics to be covered include mastitis, the inflammation of lactating breast tissue and thrush.
Donor breast milk for premature babies and help for mothers breastfeeding on neo-natal units will also be discussed.
The inaugural conference has been accredited by the Royal College of Midwives and approved by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
The conference welcomes back speakers from previous festivals, including Gillian Weaver, chairwoman of the UK Association for Milk Banking; Mike Brady, campaigns and networking co-ordinator for Baby Milk Action; and Shel Banks, baby friendly co-ordinator at Blackpool Training Hospitals.
Jo Dawson, co-organiser of the festival and conference, said: “We wanted to bring people to our conference who we knew we could trust for providing informative and exciting talks and we are delighted we were able to bring these speakers back, as well as acquire some new passionate speakers.”
For more information visit www.thebreastfeedingfestival.btck.co.uk/Conference.
First published at 13:08, Tuesday, 14 February 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This is fantastic news! I just wish i was able to make it to the Festival! Hope all goes well guys.There in spirit.xxx
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Cumbria apprentices show off skills
- Ulverston teacher’s ‘sorry’ to court for drink-driving
- Former Cumbria cricketer aims to lose 25kgs in 25 weeks for hospice
- Thirty per cent wage cuts ‘will force workers to quit’ Cumbria Council warned
- Ulverston traffic rules tightened
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (9 comments)
- Phantom of the Bay found in Ulverston as Marton family wins £1,500
- Improved rail links are ‘vital’ to growth of Ulverston
- Cumbria's top judge calls for mephedrone to be reclassified
- Opposition tears into cost of running council newsletter
- Can you get a good picture of Ulverston canal’s camera-shy otters?
- Homes plan for former Ulverston Territorial Army base
- GSK bosses vow to stand by pledges on Ulverston sports club
- Ulverston woman caught making false claims for benefits (5 comments)
- Ulverston roadworks cause delay
- Chainsaw stolen near Ulverston
- Glaxo unveils masterplan for £350m Ulverston development
- Police hunt Ulverston flasher
- Ulverston mansion homes plans ‘not good enough’ fears
- ‘Share your local knowledge’ for South Lakes homes schemes (1 comment)
- Bogus claims to revive former Ulverston nightclub exposed
- Dinner to raise cash for Ulverston family
- Ulverston business to close after three decades (5 comments)
- Ulverston student behind the scenes at London Fashion Week
- Ulverston faces having no CCTV coverage (1 comment)