Ulverston hosts national breastfeeding talks
Last updated at 14:50, Tuesday, 14 February 2012
THE organisers of the Ulverston Breastfeeding Festival are to hold the first national conference on the subject.
The all-day event is due to take place in Ulverston on March 26.
The independent and non-sponsored conference aims to provide health professionals with up-to-date, objective information on a variety of breastfeeding topics.
Swarthmoor mum Karen Butterfield, co-organiser of the annual breastfeeding festival which started in 2010, said: “The Breastfeeding Festival is a free, week-long programme of events but we found it was difficult for health professionals to attend.
“We decided we needed to pack as much as we could into one day to enable the health professionals to be able to get as much out of it as possible.”
Topics to be covered at the conference include tongue tie, a condition thought to affect one in 20 babies in some way, where a membrane extends from the underside of the tongue to the bottom of the inside of the mouth.
Other topics to be covered include mastitis, the inflammation of lactating breast tissue and thrush.
Donor breast milk for premature babies and help for mothers breastfeeding on neo-natal units will also be discussed.
The inaugural conference has been accredited by the Royal College of Midwives and approved by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
The conference welcomes back speakers from previous festivals, including Gillian Weaver, chairwoman of the UK Association for Milk Banking; Mike Brady, campaigns and networking co-ordinator for Baby Milk Action; and Shel Banks, baby friendly co-ordinator at Blackpool Training Hospitals.
Jo Dawson, co-organiser of the festival and conference, said: “We wanted to bring people to our conference who we knew we could trust for providing informative and exciting talks and we are delighted we were able to bring these speakers back, as well as acquire some new passionate speakers.”
For more information visit www.thebreastfeedingfestival.btck.co.uk/Conference.
First published at 13:08, Tuesday, 14 February 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This is fantastic news! I just wish i was able to make it to the Festival! Hope all goes well guys.There in spirit.xxx
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Fitness fans forced out of Ulverston centre slam new venues
- Councillor criticises 'moronic' rules of Ulverston street market (6 comments)
- Ulverston dad takes on marathon task to raise £20,000 for charities
- Queuing traffic on A590 in Ulverston
- Ulverston school to open as usual today after gas leak fixed
- South Cumbria Master Chef semi-finalist proves he is a serious contender
- First snow of the year falls in South Cumbria
- Ulverston mansion developer’s plans hit the buffers over homes scheme (13 comments)
- Unforgettable day as South Cumbria Guides mark 40th birthday milestone
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (44 comments)
- Police traffic warning ahead of Ulverston Dickensian Festival
- Ulverston faces wait for new recycling service
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (7 comments)
- Ulverston families have to make 20-mile trip to registrar (5 comments)
- Woman pushed down stairs in Ulverston Train Station attack (1 comment)
- Ulverston 'flying rodents' outcry (7 comments)
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Police investigate multiple vehicle crime in Ulverston
- Passengers injured in A590 Ulverston bus crash (1 comment)
- Community rallies round to save ‘vital’ Ulverston health centre bus (1 comment)
- Ulverston flood fears warning (1 comment)
- Barrow dad headbutted partner while she held their child
- Dangerous Ulverston criminal fails in jail term appeal
- Hospital trust including FGH Cumbria pays out £3m in four years over poor care
- Community heroes honoured at Heart of Ulverston awards (4 comments)