Ulverston hosts national breastfeeding talks
Last updated at 14:50, Tuesday, 14 February 2012
THE organisers of the Ulverston Breastfeeding Festival are to hold the first national conference on the subject.
The all-day event is due to take place in Ulverston on March 26.
The independent and non-sponsored conference aims to provide health professionals with up-to-date, objective information on a variety of breastfeeding topics.
Swarthmoor mum Karen Butterfield, co-organiser of the annual breastfeeding festival which started in 2010, said: “The Breastfeeding Festival is a free, week-long programme of events but we found it was difficult for health professionals to attend.
“We decided we needed to pack as much as we could into one day to enable the health professionals to be able to get as much out of it as possible.”
Topics to be covered at the conference include tongue tie, a condition thought to affect one in 20 babies in some way, where a membrane extends from the underside of the tongue to the bottom of the inside of the mouth.
Other topics to be covered include mastitis, the inflammation of lactating breast tissue and thrush.
Donor breast milk for premature babies and help for mothers breastfeeding on neo-natal units will also be discussed.
The inaugural conference has been accredited by the Royal College of Midwives and approved by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
The conference welcomes back speakers from previous festivals, including Gillian Weaver, chairwoman of the UK Association for Milk Banking; Mike Brady, campaigns and networking co-ordinator for Baby Milk Action; and Shel Banks, baby friendly co-ordinator at Blackpool Training Hospitals.
Jo Dawson, co-organiser of the festival and conference, said: “We wanted to bring people to our conference who we knew we could trust for providing informative and exciting talks and we are delighted we were able to bring these speakers back, as well as acquire some new passionate speakers.”
For more information visit www.thebreastfeedingfestival.btck.co.uk/Conference.
First published at 13:08, Tuesday, 14 February 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This is fantastic news! I just wish i was able to make it to the Festival! Hope all goes well guys.There in spirit.xxx
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- New consultation to launch into new homes near Ulverston
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (10 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Ulverston campaigners reach fighting fund £5k target (17 comments)
- Mission aims to raise cash for new vehicles for Ulverston hospice
- Golfers club together in support of Ulverston hospice
- Search for missing blind dog in Cumbria (3 comments)
- Ulverston Victoria High School students ‘have a brilliant time’
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Love of Ulverston at heart of councillor’s hard work
- Barrow detective in court on rape charge
- Furness Tradition Festival in Ulverston
- Unemployment in Cumbria down by 27 per cent (1 comment)
- Ulverston primary school musicians' song featured on BBC radio
- Ulverston school to premier pupils film
- Gardeners’ efforts recognised with Heart of Ulverston award nomination
- Passion for reading that Ulverston man Ernie loves to pass on
- Star Wars and Harry Potter hero calls for public to back Ulverston hospice cause (2 comments)
- Ulverston Carnival-goers left fuming at rail delays (1 comment)
- Campaigner inspired by tragedy up for Heart of Ulverston award
- Ulverston man who lost wife and daughter starts hospital equipment drive (1 comment)
- Margaret’s dedication to patients recognised with Heart of Ulverston award nomination
- Ulverston crash: Second pedestrian transferred to Blackpool hospital
- Manslaughter charge in case of Ulverston roof death
- Glorious sunshine as thousands enjoy Ulverston Carnival (3 comments)