Ulverston hosts national breastfeeding talks
Last updated at 14:50, Tuesday, 14 February 2012
THE organisers of the Ulverston Breastfeeding Festival are to hold the first national conference on the subject.
The all-day event is due to take place in Ulverston on March 26.
The independent and non-sponsored conference aims to provide health professionals with up-to-date, objective information on a variety of breastfeeding topics.
Swarthmoor mum Karen Butterfield, co-organiser of the annual breastfeeding festival which started in 2010, said: “The Breastfeeding Festival is a free, week-long programme of events but we found it was difficult for health professionals to attend.
“We decided we needed to pack as much as we could into one day to enable the health professionals to be able to get as much out of it as possible.”
Topics to be covered at the conference include tongue tie, a condition thought to affect one in 20 babies in some way, where a membrane extends from the underside of the tongue to the bottom of the inside of the mouth.
Other topics to be covered include mastitis, the inflammation of lactating breast tissue and thrush.
Donor breast milk for premature babies and help for mothers breastfeeding on neo-natal units will also be discussed.
The inaugural conference has been accredited by the Royal College of Midwives and approved by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
The conference welcomes back speakers from previous festivals, including Gillian Weaver, chairwoman of the UK Association for Milk Banking; Mike Brady, campaigns and networking co-ordinator for Baby Milk Action; and Shel Banks, baby friendly co-ordinator at Blackpool Training Hospitals.
Jo Dawson, co-organiser of the festival and conference, said: “We wanted to bring people to our conference who we knew we could trust for providing informative and exciting talks and we are delighted we were able to bring these speakers back, as well as acquire some new passionate speakers.”
For more information visit www.thebreastfeedingfestival.btck.co.uk/Conference.
First published at 13:08, Tuesday, 14 February 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
This is fantastic news! I just wish i was able to make it to the Festival! Hope all goes well guys.There in spirit.xxx
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston mobile phone driver fined (1 comment)
- South Cumbria waitress who was over the limit banned
- Ulverston homes plan ‘on hold’ amid A590 safety fears (5 comments)
- South Cumbria coach wants schools and firms to take on marathon challenge (1 comment)
- Burglars facing justice thanks to police’s ‘exceptional’ work in Cumbria
- Man assaulted on way home in Ulverston
- New use proposed for landmark Ulverston building
- Ulverston photographer is the focus of attention (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- Ulverston man charged with burglary
- Police urge public to report selfish parkers in Ulverston (10 comments)
- Police investigate two burglaries in Ulverston
- Sainsbury’s rules out Ulverston move
- School raises safety fears over plans for 141 South Cumbria homes (2 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Donation will help Cumbria group continue its good work
- Lake District Farmers fund offers cash boost for Ben, 6
- Teen on drug cash charge stopped in Ulverston
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (59 comments)
- Ulverston Town Council back Ford Park housing plans (14 comments)
- Ulverston marathon plan unveiled
- Christmas night out in Ulverston turns to violence
- Mel’s bringing lost art of cut-throat razor shaving to Ulverston
- Work to start today on £350 million Ulverston factory
- Residents hit out at Cumbria village turbine plan (5 comments)