Ulverston boat’s 100th birthday celebrated with Walney Channel sail
Last updated at 15:37, Wednesday, 13 June 2012
AN historic boat celebrated its 100th birthday with a sail alongside an 118-year-old vessel.
Hearts of Oak, the last boat produced by the once-famous Ulverston shipbuilding industry, reached the landmark last Friday.
She was put through her paces in Walney Channel on Sunday afternoon, but was 18 years the junior of Barrow man Neil Morrison’s 1894-built vessel Ruby.
Jennifer Snell, chairwoman of the Hearts of Oak Boat Trust, which received a £49,500 Heritage Lottery grant to restore the 34ft prawner in 2005, said: “It was a brilliant day.
“Hearts of Oak will be around for good now, God willing. She’s in top condition and good for another 100 years.”
As part of the celebrations, around 60 people enjoyed a buffet at the Ship Inn on Piel Island.
Eighty-nine-year-old Jean Wharton, whose mother launched the boat in 1912, was also in attendance.
The boat was built for her grandfather Peter Butler, the former over sands guide.
First published at 13:17, Wednesday, 13 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Ulverston news
- Pledge to spend £7m on upgrading Sandside school in Ulverston
- Fitness fans forced out of Ulverston centre slam new venues
- Councillor criticises 'moronic' rules of Ulverston street market (14 comments)
- Ulverston dad takes on marathon task to raise £20,000 for charities
- Queuing traffic on A590 in Ulverston
- Ulverston school to open as usual today after gas leak fixed
- South Cumbria Master Chef semi-finalist proves he is a serious contender
- First snow of the year falls in South Cumbria
- Ulverston mansion developer’s plans hit the buffers over homes scheme (13 comments)
- Unforgettable day as South Cumbria Guides mark 40th birthday milestone
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (44 comments)
- Police traffic warning ahead of Ulverston Dickensian Festival
- Ulverston faces wait for new recycling service
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (7 comments)
- Ulverston families have to make 20-mile trip to registrar (5 comments)
- Woman pushed down stairs in Ulverston Train Station attack (1 comment)
- Ulverston 'flying rodents' outcry (7 comments)
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Police investigate multiple vehicle crime in Ulverston
- Passengers injured in A590 Ulverston bus crash (1 comment)
- Community rallies round to save ‘vital’ Ulverston health centre bus (1 comment)
- Ulverston flood fears warning (1 comment)
- Barrow dad headbutted partner while she held their child
- Dangerous Ulverston criminal fails in jail term appeal
- Hospital trust including FGH Cumbria pays out £3m in four years over poor care
Evening Mail homepage
Light up a life
Go green 36
Post 16 education
Go green 36