Ulverston boat’s 100th birthday celebrated with Walney Channel sail
Last updated at 15:37, Wednesday, 13 June 2012
AN historic boat celebrated its 100th birthday with a sail alongside an 118-year-old vessel.
Hearts of Oak, the last boat produced by the once-famous Ulverston shipbuilding industry, reached the landmark last Friday.
She was put through her paces in Walney Channel on Sunday afternoon, but was 18 years the junior of Barrow man Neil Morrison’s 1894-built vessel Ruby.
Jennifer Snell, chairwoman of the Hearts of Oak Boat Trust, which received a £49,500 Heritage Lottery grant to restore the 34ft prawner in 2005, said: “It was a brilliant day.
“Hearts of Oak will be around for good now, God willing. She’s in top condition and good for another 100 years.”
As part of the celebrations, around 60 people enjoyed a buffet at the Ship Inn on Piel Island.
Eighty-nine-year-old Jean Wharton, whose mother launched the boat in 1912, was also in attendance.
The boat was built for her grandfather Peter Butler, the former over sands guide.
First published at 13:17, Wednesday, 13 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Ulverston news
- Tickets for Paul Merton in Ulverston
- Film-making pair will capture 8,500-mile Ulverston to China challenge
- Ulverston death sparks fears of drug menace’s return
- Ulverston man denies camera theft and order breach
- Delays caused by train breakdown between Barrow and Ulverston
- Concerns over ‘derelict’ state of Ulverston brewery site (9 comments)
- Crime in Ulverston falls for second year in row
- Vandals cost Dalton businessman £10k in repairs (1 comment)
- Competitors show a touch of brass - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Standards of playing impress judges - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Entrants in fine voice - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Recorder players hit right notes - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Siblings shine at grand finale - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Security costs £5k at disused Ulverston facility
- Tackling dog fouling is top of agenda for Ulverston campaigners (1 comment)
- Traffic diversions planned for Ulverston road while National Grid move a gas main (1 comment)
- Heavy traffic causing delays between Barrow and Ulverston (1 comment)
- Delays following A590 crash near Ulverston (1 comment)
- Holiday prize draw raises cash for Ulverston couple
- Police reveal latest twist in Ulverston rape investigation
- Store giant to consider reviving plan to build Ulverston supermarket
- Cumbria hot air balloon crashes into power cables (1 comment)
- Cumbria blue tit enthusiast films birds
- Ulverston street closures come into effect today (14 comments)
- Millions set to be invested in projects across Cumbria
Evening Mail homepage
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans