Stan Laurel movie filmed in Ulverston in big screen debut
Last updated at 17:25, Tuesday, 25 September 2012
AFTER decades of fascination, years of planning and 10 months of filming and editing, finally the big night arrived for the very first public showing of a film directed by a Laurel and Hardy fanatic.
The cast of Stan’s Childhood arrived in limousines for the big screen debut of the film about Stan Laurel’s early life in Ulverston, where he was born and brought up by his grandparents.
Director Brian Worthington had dreamed of making the film since he first visited Ulverston in 1989 and learned of the comic legend’s connections to the town.
With wife Julie, he started writing the script in 2009 and the final scenes were filmed in Gillam’s Tearoom in Market Street, Ulverston, in January. In the film, tearoom owner Doug Gillam plays the part of Mr Gillam the grocer, his great, great, great grandfather who regularly served Stan and his grandmother during the late 1890s in the store on the corner of Market Street and Union Street. Much of the shooting took place at Clayton Hall in Manchester, but filming was also carried out at Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway, 3 Argyle Street in Ulverston, where Stan lived, and the Hoad, where he went egg rolling at Easter.
The glitzy premiere was held at the Empire Cinema in Mr Worthington’s hometown of Wigan last week.
Mr Worthington and Mr Gillam plan to hold a public showing of the film in Ulverston in the near future.
First published at 17:24, Tuesday, 25 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
- Food fans set to bring festival boost for Ulverston economy
- Kitten found in south Cumbria after being shot by rifle thug (2 comments)
- Ulverston students get to have voice (2 comments)
- Indie giant Panda eyes up a group of Pesky Ulverston kids as stars
- Ulverston carnival parade is set to be scrapped (9 comments)
- Ulverston pair charged with intent to supply drugs
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- It’s not just Aidan Turner that dazzled fans of Poldark drama...
- Ulverston man given jail sentence after smash-and-grab raid on shop
- Ulverston pupils put their talents to the test
- Campaigners change strategy in battle for Ulverston town centre’s soul (9 comments)
- Ulverston man concealed drug in bag up bottom (5 comments)
- Emergency service hub for Ulverston wins council’s support
- Ulverston waterpark plans unveiled (11 comments)
- A590 Ulverston drivers warned of long delays
- A590 Ulverston traffic chaos to last until at least Friday
- Group slams plan for ‘folly of an office block’ at Ulverston toilets site (1 comment)
- Ex-circus performer to manage Ulverston cultural venue (1 comment)
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (17 comments)
- Motorcyclist airlifted to hospital after A590 crash in South Cumbria
- Ulverston charity boss hits out at plan to sell offices (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22