South Lakes energy scheme recharged
Published at 16:05, Thursday, 10 January 2013
A PIONEERING scheme that saw hundreds of Cumbrian residents save on their fuel bills is set to be relaunched.
The Power Up Your Community scheme was run by South Lakeland District Council last year and helped hundreds of people save money.
More than 500 of the 1,669 people that registered interest switched their energy deals as a result, cutting their fuel bills.
The new scheme is due to launch on Monday, with people able to register in order for specialist company iChoosr to negotiate the best possible deal using bulk purchasing power.
There is no obligation on people who register to switch energy deals and registration will end on February 25.
Councillor Clare Feeney-Johnson, SLDC deputy leader and portfolio holder for the environment, said: “The council is launching Power up Your Community again, as it is a huge opportunity for local residents to be part of a scheme that helps to reduce their energy costs.
"The other benefit of the council’s scheme is that the switching fee paid to the council is used for the sole purpose of helping to combat fuel poverty in the district. The switching fee received by SLDC is ploughed back into local community projects that help people who are struggling to pay for fuel to keep warm."
The scheme is open to people all over the county and last time there were 115 households from outside the South Lakes that signed up.
From Monday, people can register free by visiting www.southlakeland.gov.uk or calling 0845 050 4434.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
please explain to me whot tim farron was on about in the citizen advice about lowering our bills I don't want to sign anything till I know a bit more
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Baycliff couple fear vehicles will ruin their home
- Thousands enjoy Ulverston Lantern Festival (2 comments)
- First look at housing plan for Ulverston landmark
- Medal with Ulverston connection could go for £30k
- Final preparations being made for tonight’s Ulverston Lantern Festival
- Mystery of the ship lost more than 160 years ago is solved
- Duchess of Gloucester visits Ulverston
- Road closure warning ahead of Ulverston Lantern Festival
- Crown court date set for Ulverston man accused of stabbing his girlfriend
- Support for elderly could ‘cease’ if Ulverston shop is closed
- Ale lovers in for a real treat at Ulverston Beer Festival
- Holiday prize draw raises cash for Ulverston couple
- Vote brings levy plan for South Lakes stores step closer (1 comment)
- Ulverston school gets all clear for £3m development (3 comments)
- Elderly ‘devastated’ as threat to Ulverston centre looms (1 comment)
- Ulverston set for royal visit
- Ulverston dog show sets tails wagging to help raise money for club
- Volunteers crucial to success of Ulverston hospice charity shops
- Ulverston student earns university place just months after major brain operation
- Ulverston care home ear biting incident still under consideration
- Ulverston woman amended her insurance documents using ballpoint pen
- Levy could see supermarket profits ploughed into Ulverston (3 comments)
- Business owners in cycling challenge for charity in memory of Ulverston mum and daughter
- Ulverston climber survives 30ft fall (1 comment)
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area