South Lakes energy scheme recharged
Published at 16:05, Thursday, 10 January 2013
A PIONEERING scheme that saw hundreds of Cumbrian residents save on their fuel bills is set to be relaunched.
The Power Up Your Community scheme was run by South Lakeland District Council last year and helped hundreds of people save money.
More than 500 of the 1,669 people that registered interest switched their energy deals as a result, cutting their fuel bills.
The new scheme is due to launch on Monday, with people able to register in order for specialist company iChoosr to negotiate the best possible deal using bulk purchasing power.
There is no obligation on people who register to switch energy deals and registration will end on February 25.
Councillor Clare Feeney-Johnson, SLDC deputy leader and portfolio holder for the environment, said: “The council is launching Power up Your Community again, as it is a huge opportunity for local residents to be part of a scheme that helps to reduce their energy costs.
"The other benefit of the council’s scheme is that the switching fee paid to the council is used for the sole purpose of helping to combat fuel poverty in the district. The switching fee received by SLDC is ploughed back into local community projects that help people who are struggling to pay for fuel to keep warm."
The scheme is open to people all over the county and last time there were 115 households from outside the South Lakes that signed up.
From Monday, people can register free by visiting www.southlakeland.gov.uk or calling 0845 050 4434.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
please explain to me whot tim farron was on about in the citizen advice about lowering our bills I don't want to sign anything till I know a bit more
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Cumbria Murder Update-accused ‘believed radio was talking to him’
- Musical Farewell to Lindal teenager Bethany Crook
- Cumbria glass firm manufactures props for Downton Abbey
- Cumbria bikers in 130-mile trip in aid of family fighting serious illnesses
- Ulverston WalkFest takes steps to widen its appeal
- Hearing into plans for thousands of South Lakes homes to resume next month (4 comments)
- Ulverston post office open today despite strike threat
- Group of Ulverston young adults reveal their dream of an urban oasis
- Lanterns brighten Ulverston sky in memory of ‘a wonderful girl’
- Donation will help Cumbria group continue its good work
- Doughnut seller Neil angered by ‘unfair’ Ulverston market trading rules (4 comments)
- Cumbria County Council election
- South Lakes 'best place to live' thanks to falling crime rate
- Staff ‘lucky’ to flee from blaze at Ulverston takeaway
- Buckingham Palace invitation for Ulverston girl Milly Pyne, 14 (5 comments)
- Buckingham Palace invitation for Ulverston girl Milly Pyne, 14
- Swarthmoor pothole cluster in street is fixed
- Cut in Ulverston police station opening hours ‘is prelude’ to station axe
- Tortured RAF pilot tells his story at Ulverston business event
- Road reopens after Ulverston pizzeria goes up in flames (1 comment)
- Lake District Farmers fund offers cash boost for Ben, 6
- South Lakes councillor blasted over ‘grotty Ulverston’ comments (12 comments)
- Barrow and Furness MP struck by kindness of Ulverston foodbank helpers
- Ulverston man airlifted to hospital after suffering heart attack