South Lakes energy scheme recharged
Published at 16:05, Thursday, 10 January 2013
A PIONEERING scheme that saw hundreds of Cumbrian residents save on their fuel bills is set to be relaunched.
The Power Up Your Community scheme was run by South Lakeland District Council last year and helped hundreds of people save money.
More than 500 of the 1,669 people that registered interest switched their energy deals as a result, cutting their fuel bills.
The new scheme is due to launch on Monday, with people able to register in order for specialist company iChoosr to negotiate the best possible deal using bulk purchasing power.
There is no obligation on people who register to switch energy deals and registration will end on February 25.
Councillor Clare Feeney-Johnson, SLDC deputy leader and portfolio holder for the environment, said: “The council is launching Power up Your Community again, as it is a huge opportunity for local residents to be part of a scheme that helps to reduce their energy costs.
"The other benefit of the council’s scheme is that the switching fee paid to the council is used for the sole purpose of helping to combat fuel poverty in the district. The switching fee received by SLDC is ploughed back into local community projects that help people who are struggling to pay for fuel to keep warm."
The scheme is open to people all over the county and last time there were 115 households from outside the South Lakes that signed up.
From Monday, people can register free by visiting www.southlakeland.gov.uk or calling 0845 050 4434.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
please explain to me whot tim farron was on about in the citizen advice about lowering our bills I don't want to sign anything till I know a bit more
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Tickets for Paul Merton in Ulverston
- Film-making pair will capture 8,500-mile Ulverston to China challenge
- Ulverston death sparks fears of drug menace’s return
- Ulverston man denies camera theft and order breach
- Delays caused by train breakdown between Barrow and Ulverston
- Concerns over ‘derelict’ state of Ulverston brewery site (9 comments)
- Crime in Ulverston falls for second year in row
- Vandals cost Dalton businessman £10k in repairs (1 comment)
- Competitors show a touch of brass - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Standards of playing impress judges - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Entrants in fine voice - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Recorder players hit right notes - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Siblings shine at grand finale - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Security costs £5k at disused Ulverston facility
- Tackling dog fouling is top of agenda for Ulverston campaigners (1 comment)
- Traffic diversions planned for Ulverston road while National Grid move a gas main (1 comment)
- Heavy traffic causing delays between Barrow and Ulverston (1 comment)
- Delays following A590 crash near Ulverston (1 comment)
- Holiday prize draw raises cash for Ulverston couple
- Police reveal latest twist in Ulverston rape investigation
- Store giant to consider reviving plan to build Ulverston supermarket
- Cumbria hot air balloon crashes into power cables (1 comment)
- Cumbria blue tit enthusiast films birds
- Ulverston street closures come into effect today (14 comments)
- Millions set to be invested in projects across Cumbria