South Lakes energy scheme recharged
Published at 16:05, Thursday, 10 January 2013
A PIONEERING scheme that saw hundreds of Cumbrian residents save on their fuel bills is set to be relaunched.
The Power Up Your Community scheme was run by South Lakeland District Council last year and helped hundreds of people save money.
More than 500 of the 1,669 people that registered interest switched their energy deals as a result, cutting their fuel bills.
The new scheme is due to launch on Monday, with people able to register in order for specialist company iChoosr to negotiate the best possible deal using bulk purchasing power.
There is no obligation on people who register to switch energy deals and registration will end on February 25.
Councillor Clare Feeney-Johnson, SLDC deputy leader and portfolio holder for the environment, said: “The council is launching Power up Your Community again, as it is a huge opportunity for local residents to be part of a scheme that helps to reduce their energy costs.
"The other benefit of the council’s scheme is that the switching fee paid to the council is used for the sole purpose of helping to combat fuel poverty in the district. The switching fee received by SLDC is ploughed back into local community projects that help people who are struggling to pay for fuel to keep warm."
The scheme is open to people all over the county and last time there were 115 households from outside the South Lakes that signed up.
From Monday, people can register free by visiting www.southlakeland.gov.uk or calling 0845 050 4434.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
please explain to me whot tim farron was on about in the citizen advice about lowering our bills I don't want to sign anything till I know a bit more
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Competitors in fine voice for final day of Ulverston contest
- Ulverston gala event fitting end to week of Cumbria music competition
- Cinemas to reel back the years to mark Ulverston born Stan Laurel’s 125th birthday
- Ulverston mural to screen icon vandalised (2 comments)
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston (8 comments)
- Famous Ulverston festivals and events at risk if park closes
- Another fine idea for funding
- MP backs petition to save Ulverston park (3 comments)
- Barrow impresario bailed after arrest for alleged child sex offence
- WITH VIDEO: Planning blow could see Ulverston park shut within months (16 comments)
- Ulverston council’s paintings fetch almost £35k at auction
- Toilets could become Ulverston council HQ (1 comment)
- Revised Ulverston store application slammed as ‘outrageous’ by councillors at meeting (39 comments)
- Working in Ulverston to make a difference to health
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Ulverston mum reunited with necklace that was lost in New York
- Ulverston mobile phone driver fined (2 comments)
- South Cumbria waitress who was over the limit banned
- Ulverston homes plan ‘on hold’ amid A590 safety fears (7 comments)
- South Cumbria coach wants schools and firms to take on marathon challenge (1 comment)
- Burglars facing justice thanks to police’s ‘exceptional’ work in Cumbria