Rock school pupils show their mettle at Ulverston concert
Last updated at 16:09, Sunday, 30 December 2012
ALL the young dudes got together to celebrate a year of rocking.
Twenty students from the South Lakes Rock School showcased their musical talents at a special concert at the Coronation Hall on December 22.
The high voltage school teaches people to learn the core rock skills of playing guitar, drums, bass, keyboards and singing.
“It was a chance to show what the students have been doing and it was a culmination of all that,” said Lesley Harris, who owns the school.
“The students all had some songs they had played in a rehearsal situation and wanted to play in the show.”
The playlist spanned work by heavy metal monsters Metallica and Black Sabbath to poppy Essex boy Olly Murs.
The students, who are aged from eight to 17, had shown a huge improvement over the year, Miss Harris said.
Students take regular exams to boost their skills.
The school opened as a centre for the Trinity Rock and Pop exams in November and has so far achieved a 100 per cent pass rate.
“The exams range from for very beginners up until grade eight,” said Miss Harris.
“We had some really good results this year from that, mostly merits and some distinctions. They really have made some massive improvements this year.”
The proceeds from the concert were to be donated to local charities in the area.
First published at 16:23, Friday, 28 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Fire crews sound the alarm on service cuts at Ulverston meeting
- Appeal for public to protect Ulverston hall’s future
- Landrover stolen from house in Cumbria
- Car stolen from South Cumbria village
- Replacement for Stuart Hyde former Cumbria deputy chief constable announced
- Cumbria farmer awarded for working with youngsters
- Ulverston volunteer among best in the UK
- Parking charges frozen across Ulverston and South Lakes (2 comments)
- £3,000 charity giveaway across Ulverston, Barrow and Millom continues
- Townsfolk get into character for Ulverston festival (2 comments)
- Ofsted inspects South Cumbria secondary school
- Traffic disruption continues on the A590 near Ulverston (1 comment)
- Burglary closes Ulverston supermarket
- Police issue traffic advice ahead of today's Ulverston Dickensian festival
- Ulverston set for biggest lights switch-on yet
- Ulverston could get new budget supermarket (3 comments)
- Ulverston set to get super-fast broadband today (1 comment)
- Cumbria man to stand trial over an alleged attempted robbery in Ulverston
- Campaign driving home safety lesson in Ulverston
- Ulverston needing a new ‘heart’, meeting hears
- Ulverston Dickensian festival 2012 (36 comments)
- Former Ulverston couple scoops £870k Australia house in charity raffle
- Dead animal falls on man at slaughterhouse near Ulverston
- Vandals drill holes in fuel tanks at Ulverston garage
- Cumbria wide CCTV camera network on the cards (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Family Notices
- Competition rules
- Advertise with us
- Reader Travel
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans