Rock school pupils show their mettle at Ulverston concert
Last updated at 16:09, Sunday, 30 December 2012
ALL the young dudes got together to celebrate a year of rocking.
Twenty students from the South Lakes Rock School showcased their musical talents at a special concert at the Coronation Hall on December 22.
The high voltage school teaches people to learn the core rock skills of playing guitar, drums, bass, keyboards and singing.
“It was a chance to show what the students have been doing and it was a culmination of all that,” said Lesley Harris, who owns the school.
“The students all had some songs they had played in a rehearsal situation and wanted to play in the show.”
The playlist spanned work by heavy metal monsters Metallica and Black Sabbath to poppy Essex boy Olly Murs.
The students, who are aged from eight to 17, had shown a huge improvement over the year, Miss Harris said.
Students take regular exams to boost their skills.
The school opened as a centre for the Trinity Rock and Pop exams in November and has so far achieved a 100 per cent pass rate.
“The exams range from for very beginners up until grade eight,” said Miss Harris.
“We had some really good results this year from that, mostly merits and some distinctions. They really have made some massive improvements this year.”
The proceeds from the concert were to be donated to local charities in the area.
First published at 16:23, Friday, 28 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Ulverston hospice appeals for volunteers to help make carnival a success
- Ulverston victim asks court not to send her attacker to jail
- Ulverston staff angry after tips stolen (1 comment)
- Ulverston man on drink-driving charge
- A Laurel live music and art makes Ulverston festival a success (1 comment)
- Ulverston business leader takes on 300km adventure - follow his progress
- Ulverston school’s £4.1m development is finally nearing completion (4 comments)
- Ulverston homes proposal wins backing despite fears over historic site
- Ulverston dad is set to take on epic open water challenge
- History brought to life as Ulverston pupils dig deep for archaeology project
- Plans to expand Ulverston venue
- PHOTOS: Ulverston teddy toddle to raise nursery funds
- Traders sell out of produce as crowds flock to Ulverston food event
- Pedestrian sustains broken leg and head injuries in Ulverston crash
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
- Food fans set to bring festival boost for Ulverston economy