MP demands GP surgery in Greenodd
Last updated at 16:10, Monday, 03 December 2012
CALLS are mounting for the return of a GP surgery to Greenodd.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron today joined with councillors Janet Willis and Sue Sanderson in calling for a GP practice to be put back in the town.
Mr Farronbhas written to the Clinical Commissioning Group asking them to conduct a feasibility study to see if the service is required.
Previously there was a doctors surgery in Backbarrow and Haverthwaite and a separate surgery in Greenodd. Now they have joined and there is only a single surgery at Backbarrow that holds ‘out-reach’ clinics in the Village Hall at Greenodd.
Mr Farron said: “I have written to the Clinical Commissioning Group today asking them to look at this and see if Greenodd can have it’s own GP’s surgery again. It is adding to pressure in Haverthwaite and to hold clinics in the Village Hall in Greenodd is not appropriate.
"I am pleased to be able to support the campaign of Janet and Sue. They are always standing up for their local communities so I am pleased to help them in any way I can.”
Cllr Willis added: “The current arrangements are not meeting the needs of the residents of our communities, particularly the elderly and those who are reliant on public transport.”
First published at 13:12, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Totally agree, the service has significantly diminished since the loss of the Greenodd surgery.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Oil spill closes road near Ulverston
- Cumbria police investigating historic sex offences in schools
- Mission aims to raise cash for new vehicles for Ulverston hospice
- New consultation to launch into new homes near Ulverston
- Ulverston ‘completely gridlocked’, councillor tells meeting (11 comments)
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Ulverston campaigners reach fighting fund £5k target (17 comments)
- Golfers club together in support of Ulverston hospice
- Search for missing blind dog in Cumbria (3 comments)
- Ulverston Victoria High School students ‘have a brilliant time’
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Love of Ulverston at heart of councillor’s hard work
- Barrow detective in court on rape charge
- Furness Tradition Festival in Ulverston
- Unemployment in Cumbria down by 27 per cent (1 comment)
- Ulverston primary school musicians' song featured on BBC radio
- Ulverston school to premier pupils film
- Gardeners’ efforts recognised with Heart of Ulverston award nomination
- Passion for reading that Ulverston man Ernie loves to pass on
- Star Wars and Harry Potter hero calls for public to back Ulverston hospice cause (2 comments)
- Ulverston Carnival-goers left fuming at rail delays (1 comment)
- Campaigner inspired by tragedy up for Heart of Ulverston award
- Ulverston man who lost wife and daughter starts hospital equipment drive (1 comment)
- Margaret’s dedication to patients recognised with Heart of Ulverston award nomination
- Ulverston crash: Second pedestrian transferred to Blackpool hospital