MP demands GP surgery in Greenodd
Last updated at 16:10, Monday, 03 December 2012
CALLS are mounting for the return of a GP surgery to Greenodd.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron today joined with councillors Janet Willis and Sue Sanderson in calling for a GP practice to be put back in the town.
Mr Farronbhas written to the Clinical Commissioning Group asking them to conduct a feasibility study to see if the service is required.
Previously there was a doctors surgery in Backbarrow and Haverthwaite and a separate surgery in Greenodd. Now they have joined and there is only a single surgery at Backbarrow that holds ‘out-reach’ clinics in the Village Hall at Greenodd.
Mr Farron said: “I have written to the Clinical Commissioning Group today asking them to look at this and see if Greenodd can have it’s own GP’s surgery again. It is adding to pressure in Haverthwaite and to hold clinics in the Village Hall in Greenodd is not appropriate.
"I am pleased to be able to support the campaign of Janet and Sue. They are always standing up for their local communities so I am pleased to help them in any way I can.”
Cllr Willis added: “The current arrangements are not meeting the needs of the residents of our communities, particularly the elderly and those who are reliant on public transport.”
First published at 13:12, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Totally agree, the service has significantly diminished since the loss of the Greenodd surgery.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- New Ulverston emergency services centre planned (5 comments)
- Barrow and Furness MP John Woodcock to hold advice surgery in Ulverston
- Community heroes honoured at Heart of Ulverston awards (4 comments)
- Firefighters called after woman gets stuck in Ulverston pool
- Ulverston community is always on the go
- Treasures to be found among the waste
- Youngsters share views on Ulverston’s special features
- All ages stepping up to drive Ulverston hospice campaign to target
- Ulverston photographer has answered the call of the wild
- Ulverston Victoria High School development is vitally important
- Eye in the sky is latest gem in a long line of innovation
- Embassies around the world have Ulverston firm’s wares
- Support essential to a stylish celebration
- Playwright Zosia is putting Ulverston on the literary map
- Shop around the clock and boost Ulverston hospice’s vital work
- Public can help decide future of historic Ulverston cottage (5 comments)
- Ulverston store developer tells of ‘frustrating time’ (50 comments)
- Cumbria police concerned for missing man, 70
- Backing for Ulverston supermarket was flawed, hearing told (50 comments)
- Exciting era dawns for prospering Ulverston (6 comments)
- Work starts to prepare young people for jobs at growing South Cumbria firms
- Ulverston homes need to be built to accommodate new employees (3 comments)
- New Ulverston factory set to make ‘significant contribution’
- Ulverston supermarket row set for legal showdown in court (7 comments)
- Council makes decision on plans to build £350m facility in Ulverston (3 comments)