MP demands GP surgery in Greenodd
Last updated at 16:10, Monday, 03 December 2012
CALLS are mounting for the return of a GP surgery to Greenodd.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron today joined with councillors Janet Willis and Sue Sanderson in calling for a GP practice to be put back in the town.
Mr Farronbhas written to the Clinical Commissioning Group asking them to conduct a feasibility study to see if the service is required.
Previously there was a doctors surgery in Backbarrow and Haverthwaite and a separate surgery in Greenodd. Now they have joined and there is only a single surgery at Backbarrow that holds ‘out-reach’ clinics in the Village Hall at Greenodd.
Mr Farron said: “I have written to the Clinical Commissioning Group today asking them to look at this and see if Greenodd can have it’s own GP’s surgery again. It is adding to pressure in Haverthwaite and to hold clinics in the Village Hall in Greenodd is not appropriate.
"I am pleased to be able to support the campaign of Janet and Sue. They are always standing up for their local communities so I am pleased to help them in any way I can.”
Cllr Willis added: “The current arrangements are not meeting the needs of the residents of our communities, particularly the elderly and those who are reliant on public transport.”
First published at 13:12, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Totally agree, the service has significantly diminished since the loss of the Greenodd surgery.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Baycliff couple fear vehicles will ruin their home
- Thousands enjoy Ulverston Lantern Festival (2 comments)
- First look at housing plan for Ulverston landmark
- Medal with Ulverston connection could go for £30k
- Final preparations being made for tonight’s Ulverston Lantern Festival
- Mystery of the ship lost more than 160 years ago is solved
- Duchess of Gloucester visits Ulverston
- Road closure warning ahead of Ulverston Lantern Festival
- Crown court date set for Ulverston man accused of stabbing his girlfriend
- Support for elderly could ‘cease’ if Ulverston shop is closed
- Ale lovers in for a real treat at Ulverston Beer Festival
- Holiday prize draw raises cash for Ulverston couple
- Vote brings levy plan for South Lakes stores step closer (1 comment)
- Ulverston school gets all clear for £3m development (3 comments)
- Elderly ‘devastated’ as threat to Ulverston centre looms (1 comment)
- Ulverston set for royal visit
- Ulverston dog show sets tails wagging to help raise money for club
- Volunteers crucial to success of Ulverston hospice charity shops
- Ulverston student earns university place just months after major brain operation
- Ulverston care home ear biting incident still under consideration
- Ulverston woman amended her insurance documents using ballpoint pen
- Levy could see supermarket profits ploughed into Ulverston (3 comments)
- Business owners in cycling challenge for charity in memory of Ulverston mum and daughter
- Ulverston climber survives 30ft fall (1 comment)
- Cumbria sex offender pensioner due in court today charged with loitering near children's play area