MP demands GP surgery in Greenodd
Last updated at 16:10, Monday, 03 December 2012
CALLS are mounting for the return of a GP surgery to Greenodd.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron today joined with councillors Janet Willis and Sue Sanderson in calling for a GP practice to be put back in the town.
Mr Farronbhas written to the Clinical Commissioning Group asking them to conduct a feasibility study to see if the service is required.
Previously there was a doctors surgery in Backbarrow and Haverthwaite and a separate surgery in Greenodd. Now they have joined and there is only a single surgery at Backbarrow that holds ‘out-reach’ clinics in the Village Hall at Greenodd.
Mr Farron said: “I have written to the Clinical Commissioning Group today asking them to look at this and see if Greenodd can have it’s own GP’s surgery again. It is adding to pressure in Haverthwaite and to hold clinics in the Village Hall in Greenodd is not appropriate.
"I am pleased to be able to support the campaign of Janet and Sue. They are always standing up for their local communities so I am pleased to help them in any way I can.”
Cllr Willis added: “The current arrangements are not meeting the needs of the residents of our communities, particularly the elderly and those who are reliant on public transport.”
First published at 13:12, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Totally agree, the service has significantly diminished since the loss of the Greenodd surgery.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Fire crews sound the alarm on service cuts at Ulverston meeting
- Appeal for public to protect Ulverston hall’s future
- Landrover stolen from house in Cumbria
- Car stolen from South Cumbria village
- Replacement for Stuart Hyde former Cumbria deputy chief constable announced
- Cumbria farmer awarded for working with youngsters
- Ulverston volunteer among best in the UK
- Parking charges frozen across Ulverston and South Lakes (2 comments)
- £3,000 charity giveaway across Ulverston, Barrow and Millom continues
- Townsfolk get into character for Ulverston festival (2 comments)
- Ofsted inspects South Cumbria secondary school
- Traffic disruption continues on the A590 near Ulverston (1 comment)
- Burglary closes Ulverston supermarket
- Police issue traffic advice ahead of today's Ulverston Dickensian festival
- Ulverston set for biggest lights switch-on yet
- Ulverston could get new budget supermarket (3 comments)
- Ulverston set to get super-fast broadband today (1 comment)
- Cumbria man to stand trial over an alleged attempted robbery in Ulverston
- Campaign driving home safety lesson in Ulverston
- Ulverston needing a new ‘heart’, meeting hears
- Ulverston Dickensian festival 2012 (36 comments)
- Former Ulverston couple scoops £870k Australia house in charity raffle
- Dead animal falls on man at slaughterhouse near Ulverston
- Vandals drill holes in fuel tanks at Ulverston garage
- Cumbria wide CCTV camera network on the cards (1 comment)