MP demands GP surgery in Greenodd
Last updated at 16:10, Monday, 03 December 2012
CALLS are mounting for the return of a GP surgery to Greenodd.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron today joined with councillors Janet Willis and Sue Sanderson in calling for a GP practice to be put back in the town.
Mr Farronbhas written to the Clinical Commissioning Group asking them to conduct a feasibility study to see if the service is required.
Previously there was a doctors surgery in Backbarrow and Haverthwaite and a separate surgery in Greenodd. Now they have joined and there is only a single surgery at Backbarrow that holds ‘out-reach’ clinics in the Village Hall at Greenodd.
Mr Farron said: “I have written to the Clinical Commissioning Group today asking them to look at this and see if Greenodd can have it’s own GP’s surgery again. It is adding to pressure in Haverthwaite and to hold clinics in the Village Hall in Greenodd is not appropriate.
"I am pleased to be able to support the campaign of Janet and Sue. They are always standing up for their local communities so I am pleased to help them in any way I can.”
Cllr Willis added: “The current arrangements are not meeting the needs of the residents of our communities, particularly the elderly and those who are reliant on public transport.”
First published at 13:12, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Totally agree, the service has significantly diminished since the loss of the Greenodd surgery.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston pub reopens for bank holiday weekend
- Cumbria Murder Update-accused ‘believed radio was talking to him’
- Musical Farewell to Lindal teenager Bethany Crook
- Cumbria glass firm manufactures props for Downton Abbey
- Cumbria bikers in 130-mile trip in aid of family fighting serious illnesses
- Ulverston WalkFest takes steps to widen its appeal
- Hearing into plans for thousands of South Lakes homes to resume next month (4 comments)
- Ulverston post office open today despite strike threat
- Group of Ulverston young adults reveal their dream of an urban oasis
- Lanterns brighten Ulverston sky in memory of ‘a wonderful girl’
- Donation will help Cumbria group continue its good work
- Doughnut seller Neil angered by ‘unfair’ Ulverston market trading rules (4 comments)
- Cumbria County Council election
- South Lakes 'best place to live' thanks to falling crime rate
- Staff ‘lucky’ to flee from blaze at Ulverston takeaway
- Buckingham Palace invitation for Ulverston girl Milly Pyne, 14 (5 comments)
- Buckingham Palace invitation for Ulverston girl Milly Pyne, 14
- Swarthmoor pothole cluster in street is fixed
- Cut in Ulverston police station opening hours ‘is prelude’ to station axe
- Tortured RAF pilot tells his story at Ulverston business event
- Road reopens after Ulverston pizzeria goes up in flames (1 comment)
- Lake District Farmers fund offers cash boost for Ben, 6
- South Lakes councillor blasted over ‘grotty Ulverston’ comments (12 comments)
- Barrow and Furness MP struck by kindness of Ulverston foodbank helpers