MP demands GP surgery in Greenodd
Last updated at 16:10, Monday, 03 December 2012
CALLS are mounting for the return of a GP surgery to Greenodd.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron today joined with councillors Janet Willis and Sue Sanderson in calling for a GP practice to be put back in the town.
Mr Farronbhas written to the Clinical Commissioning Group asking them to conduct a feasibility study to see if the service is required.
Previously there was a doctors surgery in Backbarrow and Haverthwaite and a separate surgery in Greenodd. Now they have joined and there is only a single surgery at Backbarrow that holds ‘out-reach’ clinics in the Village Hall at Greenodd.
Mr Farron said: “I have written to the Clinical Commissioning Group today asking them to look at this and see if Greenodd can have it’s own GP’s surgery again. It is adding to pressure in Haverthwaite and to hold clinics in the Village Hall in Greenodd is not appropriate.
"I am pleased to be able to support the campaign of Janet and Sue. They are always standing up for their local communities so I am pleased to help them in any way I can.”
Cllr Willis added: “The current arrangements are not meeting the needs of the residents of our communities, particularly the elderly and those who are reliant on public transport.”
First published at 13:12, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Totally agree, the service has significantly diminished since the loss of the Greenodd surgery.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Future’s bright for Ulverston hospice as £1,000 gift goes to decorating
- Donation will help Cumbria group continue its good work
- Lake District Farmers fund offers cash boost for Ben, 6
- Teen on drug cash charge stopped in Ulverston
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Ulverston Town Council back Ford Park housing plans (12 comments)
- Ulverston marathon plan unveiled
- Christmas night out in Ulverston turns to violence
- Mel’s bringing lost art of cut-throat razor shaving to Ulverston
- Work to start today on £350 million Ulverston factory
- Residents hit out at Cumbria village turbine plan (5 comments)
- Work to start next week on first phase of Ulverston drugs giant’s £350m development (4 comments)
- Get your Christmas tree collected to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Vindictive Ulverston bully avoids jail for harassing couple
- Pledge to spend £7m on upgrading Sandside school in Ulverston
- Top exec offers inspiring tips to Ulverston school’s brightest
- Fitness fans forced out of Ulverston centre slam new venues
- Councillor criticises 'moronic' rules of Ulverston street market (17 comments)
- Ulverston dad takes on marathon task to raise £20,000 for charities
- Queuing traffic on A590 in Ulverston
- Ulverston school to open as usual today after gas leak fixed
- South Cumbria Master Chef semi-finalist proves he is a serious contender
- First snow of the year falls in South Cumbria
- Ulverston mansion developer’s plans hit the buffers over homes scheme (13 comments)
- Unforgettable day as South Cumbria Guides mark 40th birthday milestone