MP demands GP surgery in Greenodd
Last updated at 16:10, Monday, 03 December 2012
CALLS are mounting for the return of a GP surgery to Greenodd.
South Lakes MP Tim Farron today joined with councillors Janet Willis and Sue Sanderson in calling for a GP practice to be put back in the town.
Mr Farronbhas written to the Clinical Commissioning Group asking them to conduct a feasibility study to see if the service is required.
Previously there was a doctors surgery in Backbarrow and Haverthwaite and a separate surgery in Greenodd. Now they have joined and there is only a single surgery at Backbarrow that holds ‘out-reach’ clinics in the Village Hall at Greenodd.
Mr Farron said: “I have written to the Clinical Commissioning Group today asking them to look at this and see if Greenodd can have it’s own GP’s surgery again. It is adding to pressure in Haverthwaite and to hold clinics in the Village Hall in Greenodd is not appropriate.
"I am pleased to be able to support the campaign of Janet and Sue. They are always standing up for their local communities so I am pleased to help them in any way I can.”
Cllr Willis added: “The current arrangements are not meeting the needs of the residents of our communities, particularly the elderly and those who are reliant on public transport.”
First published at 13:12, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Totally agree, the service has significantly diminished since the loss of the Greenodd surgery.
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (16 comments)
- Motorcyclist airlifted to hospital after A590 crash in South Cumbria
- Ulverston charity boss hits out at plan to sell offices
- Ulverston venue in Queen's birthday snub (5 comments)
- Ulverston toilet debate continues (3 comments)
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Thrilling day for air cadets as they receive freedom of Ulverston (3 comments)
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Ulverston council toilet block vote is branded ‘unforgivable’ (6 comments)
- Ulverston father’s suicide after indecent images investigation
- Ulverston assault charge trial
- Travellers face legal action if they don’t leave Ulverston common (19 comments)
- South Cumbria Villagers’ love for pies helps charity
- Ulverston motorist faces death charge case
- Ulverston Canal gets a clear-up by apprentices
- Organisers need help to create another Fine Fest in Ulverston (5 comments)
- Barrow store staff take to the shore to rid coastline of litter
- Anger as vandals strike at Ulverston egg trail
- Ulverston egg-rolling
- Cumbria morris dancers perform traditional Easter Pasche Egging play
- Record numbers in Ulverston endurance contest
- Ulverston archaeology firm set to achieve milestone
- Ulverston supermarket developer will be held to account on plan (8 comments)
- Award sums up Ulverston pupil’s success at maths
- Dog walkers saved by Ulverston rescue team