EVEN the most hardy of cynics appear to have thawed, slightly at least, since the Olympic flame was lit in London.
The spectacle, which is pretty much impossible to avoid, is at the centre of many conversations in the street, on internet chat rooms and on social media websites.
It is hard to argue it has been anything other than a success.
The fact it is all happening here, on our doorstep, is no doubt a contributory factor to the positive press the Games are enjoying.
But of further inspiration to the nation must surely be the magnificent achievements of Team GB athletes.
The medal count so far is nothing short of amazing, reflecting the thousands of hours of training, pain and tears endured by our nation’s finest.
They represent wonderful role models to the next generation of sports people; and give as clear an indication as is possible that dreams can come true.
Today we publish details of how members of the public can get involved in Olympic sports in South Cumbria.
There are many disciplines to chose from, and with the health benefits there for all to see, there really should be no reason for people not to get involved.
Every world-beating athlete started their career with a dream.
Why not start yours now?
Published: August 8, 2012
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Fire crews sound the alarm on service cuts at Ulverston meeting
- Appeal for public to protect Ulverston hall’s future
- Landrover stolen from house in Cumbria
- Car stolen from South Cumbria village
- Replacement for Stuart Hyde former Cumbria deputy chief constable announced
- Cumbria farmer awarded for working with youngsters
- Ulverston volunteer among best in the UK
- Parking charges frozen across Ulverston and South Lakes (2 comments)
- £3,000 charity giveaway across Ulverston, Barrow and Millom continues
- Townsfolk get into character for Ulverston festival (2 comments)
- Ofsted inspects South Cumbria secondary school
- Traffic disruption continues on the A590 near Ulverston (1 comment)
- Burglary closes Ulverston supermarket
- Police issue traffic advice ahead of today's Ulverston Dickensian festival
- Ulverston set for biggest lights switch-on yet
- Ulverston could get new budget supermarket (3 comments)
- Ulverston set to get super-fast broadband today (1 comment)
- Cumbria man to stand trial over an alleged attempted robbery in Ulverston
- Campaign driving home safety lesson in Ulverston
- Ulverston needing a new ‘heart’, meeting hears
- Ulverston Dickensian festival 2012 (36 comments)
- Former Ulverston couple scoops £870k Australia house in charity raffle
- Dead animal falls on man at slaughterhouse near Ulverston
- Vandals drill holes in fuel tanks at Ulverston garage
- Cumbria wide CCTV camera network on the cards (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Family Notices
- Competition rules
- Advertise with us
- Reader Travel
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans