EVEN the most hardy of cynics appear to have thawed, slightly at least, since the Olympic flame was lit in London.
The spectacle, which is pretty much impossible to avoid, is at the centre of many conversations in the street, on internet chat rooms and on social media websites.
It is hard to argue it has been anything other than a success.
The fact it is all happening here, on our doorstep, is no doubt a contributory factor to the positive press the Games are enjoying.
But of further inspiration to the nation must surely be the magnificent achievements of Team GB athletes.
The medal count so far is nothing short of amazing, reflecting the thousands of hours of training, pain and tears endured by our nation’s finest.
They represent wonderful role models to the next generation of sports people; and give as clear an indication as is possible that dreams can come true.
Today we publish details of how members of the public can get involved in Olympic sports in South Cumbria.
There are many disciplines to chose from, and with the health benefits there for all to see, there really should be no reason for people not to get involved.
Every world-beating athlete started their career with a dream.
Why not start yours now?
Published: August 8, 2012
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston Carnival considered "best in years"
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Ulverston hospice appeals for volunteers to help make carnival a success
- Ulverston victim asks court not to send her attacker to jail
- Ulverston staff angry after tips stolen (1 comment)
- Ulverston man on drink-driving charge
- A Laurel live music and art makes Ulverston festival a success (1 comment)
- Ulverston business leader takes on 300km adventure - follow his progress
- Ulverston school’s £4.1m development is finally nearing completion (4 comments)
- Ulverston homes proposal wins backing despite fears over historic site
- Ulverston dad is set to take on epic open water challenge
- History brought to life as Ulverston pupils dig deep for archaeology project
- Plans to expand Ulverston venue
- PHOTOS: Ulverston teddy toddle to raise nursery funds
- Traders sell out of produce as crowds flock to Ulverston food event
- Pedestrian sustains broken leg and head injuries in Ulverston crash
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
Evening Mail homepage
- Good news for rail passengers
- Ulverston pupils design fitting tribute to war heroes
- No title
- Labour gain eight Barrow Borough Council seats (9 comments)
- Ulverston waterpark plans unveiled (11 comments)
- Vindictive Ulverston bully avoids jail for harassing couple
- Police investigate multiple vehicle crime in Ulverston
- Mysterious Ulverston street artist inspires colourful debate (11 comments)
- Barrow gym owner lays down challenge to anyone to lift 100kg weight (6 comments)
- Notice Board
- Choice vital for prosperity
- Rebecca Brew and Mark Woodburn
- AFC’s fifth time in quarter-finals
- Barrow man denies drink-driving
- Family right to be proud of son
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Graham and Barry Pugh
- Sites earmarked for new business
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22