Fond tributes to kind Ulverston auctioneer
Last updated at 12:00, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
TRIBUTES have been paid to a well respected chartered surveyor and auctioneer.
The funeral of Tony Edmondson was due to be held today(Wed) at St Mary and St Michael’s Church in Great Urswick.
The father-of-one died, aged 78, on January 19 after a short illness.
Mr Edmondson, of Little Urswick, worked under the umbrella of Ulverston Auction Mart for 42 years before his retirement in 2000.
His wife Rachael described her husband as “a big part of Ulverston” and was touched by the heartfelt condolences the family received.
Mrs Edmondson said: “From all the cards I’ve got, people have said he was just a kind, honest man.
“He was a great friend to a lot of people and we will all miss him.
“Business-wise, his handshake was his bond, and when he shook your hand, that was the deal done.
“He never reneged or gazumped anybody.
“He was just so honest and gave everybody good advice.”
Mr Edmondson, who was father to Elizabeth and father-in-law to Tim, was formerly chairman of Ulverston Round Table, a member of the Rotary Club of Ulverston, and was involved with numerous other good causes.
A member of Furness and District Motor Club, he was formerly a race navigator.
He appeared in the Evening Mail in September 1972 pictured at RW Simons garage – now the Shell petrol station – in connection with the motor club, having driven 7,000 miles in seven days on a road test with Vauxhall.
Mr Edmondson’s colleagues at the auction mart said in a statement: “Tony will be remembered by many of our customers as a well respected and capable auctioneer having worked for the company for many years up to his retirement in 2000.
“He continued to attend the mart every Tuesday until quite recently, keeping in touch with friends and customers, and he will be sadly missed by us all.
“The directors and staff wish to offer their sincere condolences to his wife Rachael and daughter Elizabeth on their sad loss.”
First published at 08:55, Thursday, 31 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston (7 comments)
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Famous Ulverston festivals and events at risk if park closes
- Another fine idea for funding
- MP backs petition to save Ulverston park (3 comments)
- Barrow impresario bailed after arrest for alleged child sex offence
- WITH VIDEO: Planning blow could see Ulverston park shut within months (16 comments)
- Ulverston council’s paintings fetch almost £35k at auction
- Toilets could become Ulverston council HQ (1 comment)
- Revised Ulverston store application slammed as ‘outrageous’ by councillors at meeting (39 comments)
- Working in Ulverston to make a difference to health
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Ulverston mum reunited with necklace that was lost in New York
- Ulverston mobile phone driver fined (2 comments)
- South Cumbria waitress who was over the limit banned
- Ulverston homes plan ‘on hold’ amid A590 safety fears (7 comments)
- South Cumbria coach wants schools and firms to take on marathon challenge (1 comment)
- Burglars facing justice thanks to police’s ‘exceptional’ work in Cumbria
- Man assaulted on way home in Ulverston
- New use proposed for landmark Ulverston building
- Ulverston photographer is the focus of attention (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school