Fond tributes to kind Ulverston auctioneer
Last updated at 12:00, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
TRIBUTES have been paid to a well respected chartered surveyor and auctioneer.
The funeral of Tony Edmondson was due to be held today(Wed) at St Mary and St Michael’s Church in Great Urswick.
The father-of-one died, aged 78, on January 19 after a short illness.
Mr Edmondson, of Little Urswick, worked under the umbrella of Ulverston Auction Mart for 42 years before his retirement in 2000.
His wife Rachael described her husband as “a big part of Ulverston” and was touched by the heartfelt condolences the family received.
Mrs Edmondson said: “From all the cards I’ve got, people have said he was just a kind, honest man.
“He was a great friend to a lot of people and we will all miss him.
“Business-wise, his handshake was his bond, and when he shook your hand, that was the deal done.
“He never reneged or gazumped anybody.
“He was just so honest and gave everybody good advice.”
Mr Edmondson, who was father to Elizabeth and father-in-law to Tim, was formerly chairman of Ulverston Round Table, a member of the Rotary Club of Ulverston, and was involved with numerous other good causes.
A member of Furness and District Motor Club, he was formerly a race navigator.
He appeared in the Evening Mail in September 1972 pictured at RW Simons garage – now the Shell petrol station – in connection with the motor club, having driven 7,000 miles in seven days on a road test with Vauxhall.
Mr Edmondson’s colleagues at the auction mart said in a statement: “Tony will be remembered by many of our customers as a well respected and capable auctioneer having worked for the company for many years up to his retirement in 2000.
“He continued to attend the mart every Tuesday until quite recently, keeping in touch with friends and customers, and he will be sadly missed by us all.
“The directors and staff wish to offer their sincere condolences to his wife Rachael and daughter Elizabeth on their sad loss.”
First published at 08:55, Thursday, 31 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Ulverston news
- Cumbria apprentices show off skills
- Ulverston teacher’s ‘sorry’ to court for drink-driving
- Former Cumbria cricketer aims to lose 25kgs in 25 weeks for hospice
- Thirty per cent wage cuts ‘will force workers to quit’ Cumbria Council warned
- Ulverston traffic rules tightened
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (9 comments)
- Phantom of the Bay found in Ulverston as Marton family wins £1,500
- Improved rail links are ‘vital’ to growth of Ulverston
- Cumbria's top judge calls for mephedrone to be reclassified
- Opposition tears into cost of running council newsletter
- Can you get a good picture of Ulverston canal’s camera-shy otters?
- Homes plan for former Ulverston Territorial Army base
- GSK bosses vow to stand by pledges on Ulverston sports club
- Ulverston woman caught making false claims for benefits (5 comments)
- Ulverston roadworks cause delay
- Chainsaw stolen near Ulverston
- Glaxo unveils masterplan for £350m Ulverston development
- Police hunt Ulverston flasher
- Ulverston mansion homes plans ‘not good enough’ fears
- ‘Share your local knowledge’ for South Lakes homes schemes (1 comment)
- Bogus claims to revive former Ulverston nightclub exposed
- Dinner to raise cash for Ulverston family
- Ulverston business to close after three decades (5 comments)
- Ulverston student behind the scenes at London Fashion Week
- Ulverston faces having no CCTV coverage (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans