Cumbria theatre groups put forward for awards
Last updated at 13:47, Thursday, 08 March 2012
BUDDING thespians from across South Cumbria have been nominated for a raft of awards in a regional competition.
Theatre groups from Barrow, Millom, Ulverston and Walney have been nominated in the north-west National Operatic and Dramatic Association awards.Five groups have been nominated in 14 categories in the awards competing with groups from Bolton, Kendal and Blackburn also in the running.
Abbey Musical Society, Walney Musical Theatre Company, Ulverston Outsiders, Millom Amateur Operatic Society, the A590 Youth Theatre and Walney Juniors will be flying the flag for Furness and South Cumbria at the ceremony.
Representatives from NODA visited shows across the region and the best have been shortlisted with winners receiving their prizes at a big bash in Blackpool in May.
Andrea Guy, secretary of Millom Amateur Operatic Society, was over the moon with the group’s nomination for their production of the Wizard of Oz – the Panto.
She said: “It’s the first time they’ve visited in around 10 years. It recognises the hard work of the group and the producer, Nerissa Nicholas.
“Around 50 people were involved in the production. There’s still a buzz around the town about the panto – we’ve really improved. It’s nice to get recognition.
“People from the production will be going down – hopefully we will be bringing back the award.”
Pat Timewell has been involved with Ulverston Outsiders for more than 30 years.
The group received three nominations in this year’s awards.
She said: “We’ve won quite a few things in the past. It’s nice to be recognised. The production was extremely good.
“We try and do better and better – it was a very good production, it was a difficult one to put on.”
First published at 13:41, Thursday, 08 March 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston Carnival considered "best in years"
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Ulverston hospice appeals for volunteers to help make carnival a success
- Ulverston victim asks court not to send her attacker to jail
- Ulverston staff angry after tips stolen (1 comment)
- Ulverston man on drink-driving charge
- A Laurel live music and art makes Ulverston festival a success (1 comment)
- Ulverston business leader takes on 300km adventure - follow his progress
- Ulverston school’s £4.1m development is finally nearing completion (4 comments)
- Ulverston homes proposal wins backing despite fears over historic site
- Ulverston dad is set to take on epic open water challenge
- History brought to life as Ulverston pupils dig deep for archaeology project
- Plans to expand Ulverston venue
- PHOTOS: Ulverston teddy toddle to raise nursery funds
- Traders sell out of produce as crowds flock to Ulverston food event
- Pedestrian sustains broken leg and head injuries in Ulverston crash
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
Evening Mail homepage
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22