Comedian John Bishop in Ulverston
Last updated at 16:12, Thursday, 15 November 2012
IT was lights, camera, action in Ulverston as top TV talent came to town to film a new Christmas comedy.
Comedian John Bishop was among the big names to walk the town’s cobbles and pose for photos with the iconic Laurel and Hardy statue yesterday.
Film crews set up outside the Coronation Hall to shoot scenes for the upcoming ITV comedy drama film Panto!
The show follows the cast of a pantomime production of Dick Whittington as they prepare for the opening night.
Although the action is set in the Lancaster Grand Theatre, the Coronation Hall fills in as the building’s exterior – and local shops even had their windows adorned with tinsel courtesy of ITV.
Bishop, who has previously appeared in Barrow, said it was his first time visiting Ulverston.
Braving the elements as he stood outside the Coronation Hall, he was keen to learn more about Stan Laurel and Ulverston’s comedic history.
“Ulverston is a lovely town,” he said. “I will come back when it’s sunny.”
After spending Monday filming at The Bay’s studio in Lancaster – since Bishop’s character is a radio DJ – he spent Tuesday morning filming in Ulverston before heading south to Bath where he was due to turn on the Christmas lights.
Bishop’s co-star and on-screen love interest Sheridan Smith, who has appeared in TV’s Gavin and Stacey as well as winning an award for her performance in the stage version of Legally Blonde, also enjoyed the sights of Ulverston.
Smith plays the show’s token celebrity, Tamsin, who is starring in the pantomime as Dick Whittington.
Also due to feature in the comedy, which is expected to air on ITV1 on Boxing Day, is 1990s pop star Chesney Hawkes.
Local historian Graeme Livingstone said he was pleased to see Ulverston attracting big names to the town.
He added: “I think it is tremendous that something good is coming to Ulverston. It’s great that they are filming here and using the area for that kind of media facility.”
First published at 16:10, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston Carnival considered "best in years"
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Ulverston hospice appeals for volunteers to help make carnival a success
- Ulverston victim asks court not to send her attacker to jail
- Ulverston staff angry after tips stolen (1 comment)
- Ulverston man on drink-driving charge
- A Laurel live music and art makes Ulverston festival a success (1 comment)
- Ulverston business leader takes on 300km adventure - follow his progress
- Ulverston school’s £4.1m development is finally nearing completion (4 comments)
- Ulverston homes proposal wins backing despite fears over historic site
- Ulverston dad is set to take on epic open water challenge
- History brought to life as Ulverston pupils dig deep for archaeology project
- Plans to expand Ulverston venue
- PHOTOS: Ulverston teddy toddle to raise nursery funds
- Traders sell out of produce as crowds flock to Ulverston food event
- Pedestrian sustains broken leg and head injuries in Ulverston crash
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
Evening Mail homepage
- Mysterious Ulverston street artist inspires colourful debate (11 comments)
- Barrow gym owner lays down challenge to anyone to lift 100kg weight (6 comments)
- Notice Board
- Choice vital for prosperity
- Rebecca Brew and Mark Woodburn
- AFC’s fifth time in quarter-finals
- Barrow man denies drink-driving
- Family right to be proud of son
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Graham and Barry Pugh
- Sites earmarked for new business
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22