Christmas card winner sees vision come to life
Last updated at 16:09, Sunday, 09 December 2012
A BUDDING young artist’s dreams came true when she won a prize that put her festive picture into production.
Summer Sheeran, from Low Furness School, Great Urswick, produced the winning design in the Evening Mail’s Christmas card competition.
The 10-year-old’s picture of “a silhouette of Santa on the moon” was picked as the most outstanding entry in the competition by a panel of judges. The schoolgirl was over the moon her picture had been chosen.
The Year Six pupil said: “It is the first time I have ever won a competition. I was shocked when I found out I had won.”
The winner was then whisked off to push the start button to put her card into production at Milners printers in Barrow.
Summer’s auntie, Rosie Sykes, accompanied her. A total of 330 cards were printed. Summer was thrilled when she got to take home 30 blank cards to send out to friends and family.
She said her mum and dad are very proud of her and she plans to have the card framed.
On the big day, Summer and Ms Sykes arrived early at the printing factory and were shown how to use some of the machinery that would kick-start the process. The VIP treatment they received at Milners left them feeling like celebrities.
Summer said: “I felt like I was famous.”
Ms Sykes said: “It was fantastic. We were treated like superstars.”
However, the prizes didn’t stop there for the Leece girl.
She also received a £40 voucher that she now hopes to spend on art supplies to help with her next design.
First published at 13:07, Sunday, 09 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Congratulations Summer, keep up the good work!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Tickets for Paul Merton in Ulverston
- Film-making pair will capture 8,500-mile Ulverston to China challenge
- Ulverston death sparks fears of drug menace’s return
- Ulverston man denies camera theft and order breach
- Delays caused by train breakdown between Barrow and Ulverston
- Concerns over ‘derelict’ state of Ulverston brewery site (9 comments)
- Crime in Ulverston falls for second year in row
- Vandals cost Dalton businessman £10k in repairs (1 comment)
- Competitors show a touch of brass - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Standards of playing impress judges - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Entrants in fine voice - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Recorder players hit right notes - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Siblings shine at grand finale - South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Security costs £5k at disused Ulverston facility
- Tackling dog fouling is top of agenda for Ulverston campaigners (1 comment)
- Traffic diversions planned for Ulverston road while National Grid move a gas main (1 comment)
- Heavy traffic causing delays between Barrow and Ulverston (1 comment)
- Delays following A590 crash near Ulverston (1 comment)
- Holiday prize draw raises cash for Ulverston couple
- Police reveal latest twist in Ulverston rape investigation
- Store giant to consider reviving plan to build Ulverston supermarket
- Cumbria hot air balloon crashes into power cables (1 comment)
- Cumbria blue tit enthusiast films birds
- Ulverston street closures come into effect today (14 comments)
- Millions set to be invested in projects across Cumbria