Christmas card winner sees vision come to life
Last updated at 16:09, Sunday, 09 December 2012
A BUDDING young artist’s dreams came true when she won a prize that put her festive picture into production.
Summer Sheeran, from Low Furness School, Great Urswick, produced the winning design in the Evening Mail’s Christmas card competition.
The 10-year-old’s picture of “a silhouette of Santa on the moon” was picked as the most outstanding entry in the competition by a panel of judges. The schoolgirl was over the moon her picture had been chosen.
The Year Six pupil said: “It is the first time I have ever won a competition. I was shocked when I found out I had won.”
The winner was then whisked off to push the start button to put her card into production at Milners printers in Barrow.
Summer’s auntie, Rosie Sykes, accompanied her. A total of 330 cards were printed. Summer was thrilled when she got to take home 30 blank cards to send out to friends and family.
She said her mum and dad are very proud of her and she plans to have the card framed.
On the big day, Summer and Ms Sykes arrived early at the printing factory and were shown how to use some of the machinery that would kick-start the process. The VIP treatment they received at Milners left them feeling like celebrities.
Summer said: “I felt like I was famous.”
Ms Sykes said: “It was fantastic. We were treated like superstars.”
However, the prizes didn’t stop there for the Leece girl.
She also received a £40 voucher that she now hopes to spend on art supplies to help with her next design.
First published at 13:07, Sunday, 09 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Congratulations Summer, keep up the good work!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Ulverston Food Festival set to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
- Food fans set to bring festival boost for Ulverston economy
- Kitten found in south Cumbria after being shot by rifle thug (2 comments)
- Ulverston students get to have voice (2 comments)
- Indie giant Panda eyes up a group of Pesky Ulverston kids as stars
- Ulverston carnival parade is set to be scrapped (9 comments)
- Ulverston pair charged with intent to supply drugs
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- It’s not just Aidan Turner that dazzled fans of Poldark drama...
- Ulverston man given jail sentence after smash-and-grab raid on shop
- Ulverston pupils put their talents to the test
- Campaigners change strategy in battle for Ulverston town centre’s soul (9 comments)
- Ulverston man concealed drug in bag up bottom (5 comments)
- Emergency service hub for Ulverston wins council’s support
- Ulverston waterpark plans unveiled (11 comments)
- A590 Ulverston drivers warned of long delays
- A590 Ulverston traffic chaos to last until at least Friday
- Group slams plan for ‘folly of an office block’ at Ulverston toilets site (1 comment)
- Ex-circus performer to manage Ulverston cultural venue (1 comment)
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (17 comments)
- Motorcyclist airlifted to hospital after A590 crash in South Cumbria
- Ulverston charity boss hits out at plan to sell offices (1 comment)