Christmas card winner sees vision come to life
Last updated at 16:09, Sunday, 09 December 2012
A BUDDING young artist’s dreams came true when she won a prize that put her festive picture into production.
Summer Sheeran, from Low Furness School, Great Urswick, produced the winning design in the Evening Mail’s Christmas card competition.
The 10-year-old’s picture of “a silhouette of Santa on the moon” was picked as the most outstanding entry in the competition by a panel of judges. The schoolgirl was over the moon her picture had been chosen.
The Year Six pupil said: “It is the first time I have ever won a competition. I was shocked when I found out I had won.”
The winner was then whisked off to push the start button to put her card into production at Milners printers in Barrow.
Summer’s auntie, Rosie Sykes, accompanied her. A total of 330 cards were printed. Summer was thrilled when she got to take home 30 blank cards to send out to friends and family.
She said her mum and dad are very proud of her and she plans to have the card framed.
On the big day, Summer and Ms Sykes arrived early at the printing factory and were shown how to use some of the machinery that would kick-start the process. The VIP treatment they received at Milners left them feeling like celebrities.
Summer said: “I felt like I was famous.”
Ms Sykes said: “It was fantastic. We were treated like superstars.”
However, the prizes didn’t stop there for the Leece girl.
She also received a £40 voucher that she now hopes to spend on art supplies to help with her next design.
First published at 13:07, Sunday, 09 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Congratulations Summer, keep up the good work!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Fitness fans forced out of Ulverston centre slam new venues
- Councillor criticises 'moronic' rules of Ulverston street market (6 comments)
- Ulverston dad takes on marathon task to raise £20,000 for charities
- Queuing traffic on A590 in Ulverston
- Ulverston school to open as usual today after gas leak fixed
- South Cumbria Master Chef semi-finalist proves he is a serious contender
- First snow of the year falls in South Cumbria
- Ulverston mansion developer’s plans hit the buffers over homes scheme (13 comments)
- Unforgettable day as South Cumbria Guides mark 40th birthday milestone
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (44 comments)
- Police traffic warning ahead of Ulverston Dickensian Festival
- Ulverston faces wait for new recycling service
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (7 comments)
- Ulverston families have to make 20-mile trip to registrar (5 comments)
- Woman pushed down stairs in Ulverston Train Station attack (1 comment)
- Ulverston 'flying rodents' outcry (7 comments)
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Police investigate multiple vehicle crime in Ulverston
- Passengers injured in A590 Ulverston bus crash (1 comment)
- Community rallies round to save ‘vital’ Ulverston health centre bus (1 comment)
- Ulverston flood fears warning (1 comment)
- Barrow dad headbutted partner while she held their child
- Dangerous Ulverston criminal fails in jail term appeal
- Hospital trust including FGH Cumbria pays out £3m in four years over poor care
- Community heroes honoured at Heart of Ulverston awards (4 comments)