Christmas card winner sees vision come to life
Last updated at 16:09, Sunday, 09 December 2012
A BUDDING young artist’s dreams came true when she won a prize that put her festive picture into production.
Summer Sheeran, from Low Furness School, Great Urswick, produced the winning design in the Evening Mail’s Christmas card competition.
The 10-year-old’s picture of “a silhouette of Santa on the moon” was picked as the most outstanding entry in the competition by a panel of judges. The schoolgirl was over the moon her picture had been chosen.
The Year Six pupil said: “It is the first time I have ever won a competition. I was shocked when I found out I had won.”
The winner was then whisked off to push the start button to put her card into production at Milners printers in Barrow.
Summer’s auntie, Rosie Sykes, accompanied her. A total of 330 cards were printed. Summer was thrilled when she got to take home 30 blank cards to send out to friends and family.
She said her mum and dad are very proud of her and she plans to have the card framed.
On the big day, Summer and Ms Sykes arrived early at the printing factory and were shown how to use some of the machinery that would kick-start the process. The VIP treatment they received at Milners left them feeling like celebrities.
Summer said: “I felt like I was famous.”
Ms Sykes said: “It was fantastic. We were treated like superstars.”
However, the prizes didn’t stop there for the Leece girl.
She also received a £40 voucher that she now hopes to spend on art supplies to help with her next design.
First published at 13:07, Sunday, 09 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Congratulations Summer, keep up the good work!
Make your comment
More Ulverston news
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Famous Ulverston festivals and events at risk if park closes
- Another fine idea for funding
- MP backs petition to save Ulverston park (3 comments)
- Barrow impresario bailed after arrest for alleged child sex offence
- WITH VIDEO: Planning blow could see Ulverston park shut within months (16 comments)
- Ulverston council’s paintings fetch almost £35k at auction
- Toilets could become Ulverston council HQ (1 comment)
- Revised Ulverston store application slammed as ‘outrageous’ by councillors at meeting (39 comments)
- Working in Ulverston to make a difference to health
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Ulverston mum reunited with necklace that was lost in New York
- Ulverston mobile phone driver fined (2 comments)
- South Cumbria waitress who was over the limit banned
- Ulverston homes plan ‘on hold’ amid A590 safety fears (7 comments)
- South Cumbria coach wants schools and firms to take on marathon challenge (1 comment)
- Burglars facing justice thanks to police’s ‘exceptional’ work in Cumbria
- Man assaulted on way home in Ulverston
- New use proposed for landmark Ulverston building
- Ulverston photographer is the focus of attention (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)